Rhythmic gymnastics

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

blake

Rhythmic worlds are happening right now, so I figured it’s time to bite the bullet and get into RG, or at least get a passing knowledge of it’s history. Can any RG fans point me to some required viewing/classics? Like, what would be the rhythmic equivalents of the '89 Soviet floor rotation or Yang Bo’s beam? Thanks in advance.

There really isn’t “must watches” in the same extent that there is for WAG because RG really only went to shit in the past 10 years or so. We don’t have history in RG because it’s impossible to know what’s true and what not. We just have drama. Drama drama drama drama. Key fact to take away is that 73% of RG brevets were born in the former Soviet Union

Generally
USSR 87-92
Bulgaria 87-92
Ukraine mid to late 90s
Early Kabaeva (2000ish)

Last edited:
Thanks! If you don’t mind explaining, in what ways did RG go to shit?

I came for the flexibility and hand eye coordination, I’ll stay for the drama.

Thanks! If you don’t mind explaining, in what ways did RG go to shit?
That’s a whole other message board/podcast series/YouTube channel.

It’s become much more “trick” orientated.
At a time where MAG and WAG have become more transparent and less “political” (read corrupt), RG has gone the opposite way.
The use of full lyric music is just embarrassing, desperate and does not work.
2 of the top 3 nations are currently banned. So imagine WAG, but with the US also banned. RG doesn’t have the worldwide depth of difficulty to sustain a top level international programme without Russia and Belarus.

This routine is kinds of well known. I’ve seen photos of the beginning/ending pose in some publications.

Evgenia Kanaeva had memorable routines. IMO this quadrennium had the best routine composition.

And I certainly can’t forget the legendary Olga Kapranova.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back