Post qualifications WAG musings

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

They’re gonna go so hard on the “Skinner should have been on the main team” argument. COMPLETELY forgetting that it’s instead of CHILES and not GRACE.

If the US do lose the team title, pretty much everything other than selecting Simone for the team is going to be on the table to be picked over. Personally, I’m again taking some time to think about how much I loathe Al Fong, and how wonderful Leanne could’ve been on this team. I want to be ready with a series of particularly aggressive diatribes just in case.

The only thing you could say to give USAG the benefit of the doubt is maybe they thought the judges that gave Raisman 8s on UB would do the same for Skinner.

But as ArnoldRimmer pointed out, this isn’t the first time a gymnast got a nasty surprise. Alicia Sacramone’s minor FX disaster comes to mind.

Raisman was always a particularly special case, going way beyond the usual reputation and leotard bonus one expects for top gymnasts from the most successful teams. We all got that, so they should’ve too.

Oh, most certainly! I’m just going with the “musing” as per the title of the thread. We must do something with our time before the next live viewing threads after all!

Not sure if anyone has said this yet but the highest scoring team of the 6 girls that competed today is:

Biles (AA)
Lee (UB, BB)
Carey (VT, UB, FX)
Skinner (VT, BB, FX)

That “team” puts up a 172.262 for team qualifications which puts them .633 ahead of Russia and 1.68 ahead of where the actual team USA scored.

I know Carey was never really considered for the main team and nobody in their right mind would put Carey and Skinner on the same team but that is how the numbers from qualifications came out.

Skinner adds .6 to this made up team over Chiles and .667 over McCallum.

I know nobody wanted to put Jade on the team and take away someone’s Olympic dream but not having her on the main team could jeopardize USA’s team gold. Though I think it’s very unlikely Russia hits again and USA has another meh day but it’s clearly possible.

Taking bets on whether NBC has cameras in each gymnast’s family’s living room (or wherever they are watching it) and will do a picture-in-picture of them watching their daughter compete so we can get those all important parent shots that they would otherwise be missing? Of course, that means that we won’t see much other gymnastics, but, gotta have those parents in there!

From the NYT. Reuters also had an article up about her not making UB EF and how that seriously jeopardized her chances at winning 5 golds.

Just like US Men’s basketball team losing today, expect this kind of hamfisted analysis from mildly informed national news services. They want drama and they have it.

Last edited:
I think it quite possible that Russian hits again. That said, I think the US will propbably hit much better in finals than they did today.

But Russia has a confidence boost - they proved to everyone that they can beat a US team even with Biles on it. Now, they just need to stay cool.

And this Russian team appears to be one that can in fact stay cool.

I am hopeful that the team final will be a nail biter. However, if I understand the team final working order correctly, Russia will be up first on all events. So, the US will know what they have to do. And with the first event being vault, the US should have an edge psychologically.

rgTIo9o.png

The Russians will need to go in thinking: “Okay, the US is going to blast us on Vault. Let’s just stick our vaults and come back on bars. Look how good we were on bars in qualifications. We can do this.”

And if they can get within striking distance after bars, who knows what will happen?

Agreed about Russia looking the most confident. I would be surprised if they miss another routine in TF. Their vaults and bar routines are automatic, they seem to have focused on beam confidence and the judges obvious find their floor aesthetic the least deduction worthy. Meanwhile, the US still could count falls from all 4 team members and I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised - it wouldn’t even be that shocking if they ended up off the podium.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back