Our Commentary on the Commentary!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

All of this really is tough because I really want to start doing commentary.

I always thought "it's not possible because I was not an Olympic gymnast" (or even a GOOD gymnast).

Only kind of related... What is the background of the commentator Blythe on the international feed?

IIRC she was one of the first people to start blogging about gymnastics way back when Gymnastike, the Couch Gymnast, the Gymnternet etc. were first first starting out. She either had her own blog or was part of a collab, I forget. She was part of the group of first bloggers to get media clearance to competitions. Then she was a journalist, she's ghost written a number of gymnast's autobiographies, she's worked for the FIG, and now does broadcasting.

These days it feels like you can start a podcast, get fans, attract the attention of the mainstream and segue into a career.
I thought about that, but I also don't want to violate copyright law by doing commentary on a competition that's already out there (without commentary).

Ideas?

@RichardL Thank you, you're sweet. And @Kittentoes I see the like. Thank you, too. :)

IMG_1467.jpeg

Question for any of you who are serious figure skating fans (I’m a four year fan there) - do you all like Tara and Johnny or do you find them annoying? I ask because I’m wondering if NBC is trying to find that type of gymnastics commentator in Laurie. I like Tara and Johnny, but I don’t know a flip from a lutz and wouldn’t know if they were just spewing nonsense at me. I just like their enthusiasm. So maybe it’s the same for four year gym fans? They find Laurie cute and bubbly while the gym fans want her gone yesterday.

Question for any of you who are serious figure skating fans (I’m a four year fan there) - do you all like Tara and Johnny or do you find them annoying? I ask because I’m wondering if NBC is trying to find that type of gymnastics commentator in Laurie. I like Tara and Johnny, but I don’t know a flip from a lutz and wouldn’t know if they were just spewing nonsense at me. I just like their enthusiasm. So maybe it’s the same for four year gym fans? They find Laurie cute and bubbly while the gym fans want her gone yesterday.
Skating fans can’t stand them. I really
Don’t like Tara but like Johnny. I’m not a hard core fan, though.

All I want are explanations of scoring and technical commentary to better understand.

Sorry Laurie. But if you do not want any negative criticism do not be a commentator at the Olympics. If you're carrying the football you are going to be tackled. You do not want any negative comments??? So stay home and do not be a public person. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh

I like Johnny because he's not afraid to point out actual technical and aesthetic details and flaws and respects the audience enough to go into more explanation. I don't necessarily mind Tara, but she does talk too much. I miss the days of Dick Button's commentary, though, and I know a lot of people thought he was too critical, while I usually thought he was spot on. And I am a hardcore fan/formerly competitive figure skater (it was my second sport alongside gymnastics).

Sorry Laurie. But if you do not want any negative criticism do not be a commentator at the Olympics. If you're carrying the football you are going to be tackled. You do not want any negative comments??? So stay home and do not be a public person. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh
Exactly. It’s not a college meet. That’s the environment where people will forgive someone still learning their craft. NBC at the Olympics, people rightly expect a professional, knowledgeable and competent commentator.

But yeah, we know she’s been promoted massively beyond her capabilities

To be fair, what a weird example for fans to pick. Criticizing her for mentioning that a teammate's fall puts pressure on those to follow? Of all the things to pick, that one is dumb. Are fans also offended by someone stating that when it's cloudy the sky might look grey because that's too negative?

Edit to add- Was typing at the same time as RedBirdie, but that, exactly

Wait... those comments from Laurie someone is complaining about aren't even negative.

If anything, I wish commentators were more 'negative' and point out more deductions/mistakes in routines. I get so annoyed when commentators act like a routine is perfect when mistakes are visible and the E scores comes out in the 7s.

Let's treat it like a real sport and educate the audience on why a score is a certain way instead of having to be positive and fluffy about everything.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back