Our Commentary on the Commentary!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Omg WHEN you turn 18? This might be the most shocking thing I've seen all day today
Why is that shocking?
There's actually a slightly interesting story behind why I'm changing it haha

ETA: How old did you think I am?

Why is that shocking?
There's actually a slightly interesting story behind why I'm changing it haha

ETA: How old did you think I am?
I think everyone tends to think everyone else is kind of their age, online. And somehow I thought the general age average here would be on the higher side of things, just cause its a forum and I thought younger generations might be more into reddit or discord?

I even thought about making a poll here, yet didn't manage.

Nothing shocking about you not being 18 tho.

I'm taking 5 tenths tho

I feel this is a cultural thing. Germans and Dutch looooove to go out of their way and use the pronunciation as close as usual to the original. Spaniards look at the word and read it like they would if it was a spanish word. You sound insanely preposterous if you don't. I sometimes do and I get legit comments on it.
I heard some Germans speaking Spanish on holiday recently, and it was weirdly fascinating.

I think everyone tends to think everyone else is kind of their age, online. And somehow I thought the general age average here would be on the higher side of things, just cause its a forum and I thought younger generations might be more into reddit or discord?

I even thought about making a poll here, yet didn't manage.

Nothing shocking about you not being 18 tho.

I'm taking 5 tenths tho
I'm not allowed on Reddit or Discord so... there's that.

I'm 16 haha will be 18 in April 2026.

5 tenths for what???

Oh I don't let them. I say the slangiest shit as fast as I can and then kind of go, shrug, you know what, let's speak German instead.

My biggest pet peeve is Germans "correcting" my English with ze akzent

I heard some Germans speaking Spanish on holiday recently, and it was weirdly fascinating.
Reaction Gif GIF by MOODMAN

Oh I don't let them. I say the slangiest shit as fast as I can and then kind of go, shrug, you know what, let's speak German instead.

My biggest pet peeve is Germans "correcting" my English with ze akzent
This is my worry! When visiting, I don't know whether it's more polite to attempt to speak Spanish event though it's a very long time since GCSE and I'm patchy as hell, or whether it's easier for Spanish people not to piss about and go straight to English.

This is my worry! When visiting, I don't know whether it's more polite to attempt to speak Spanish event though it's a very long time since GCSE and I'm patchy as hell, or whether it's easier for Spanish people not to piss about and go straight to English.
Always Spanish. Most people will appreciate. You can go right to, can we speak English if you want. But if you immediately use your language while you're not in your country, it can come off as a little pretentious. Unless you're in a hotel or such where the people are expected to, of course

Reactions: JDB
You can call me Larisa Sergeevna if you really want to, but it’s a bit formal for a message board 😂
See now I'd find that easy to pronounce. The Russian Kazakh pastry chef and Siberian coworker I worked with had names that had me just staring at them. They're just Jenya and Elena for me. It was fun listening to them chat in Russian to each other and then they'd turn to me and tell me everything they just said in English.

Larisa I know is Ukrainian only because of The Secret World of Alex Mack's actress Larisa Oleynik

In 20 years they might stop treating you like a child. Most of this lot have known me since I was a young teen
Grrrrr. I'm actually a lot more grown up than most might assume haha. Been through a lot so had to grow up real fast.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back