Our Commentary on the Commentary!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Been wondering this for forever. How is tkatchev actually pronounced? There's so many skill names I don't know how to pronounce lol
ketchyoff. But I’m speaking English I’ll say katchev which is how it’s said in British gyms, in the US it seems to be tekatchev

ketchyoff. But I’m speaking English I’ll say katchev which is how it’s said in British gyms, in the US it seems to be tekatchev
Ok, so katchev isn't necessarily wrong? That's how I've always said it but it feels wrong so idk.

Ok, so katchev isn't necessarily wrong? That's how I've always said it but it feels wrong so idk.
It is wrong. No one who has this surname would say their name in that way. But it is the widely accepted pronunciation of the skill within the gymnastics world

Also the o at the end of yurchenko should be pronounced as an a, not an o. But no one would ever say this in English in reference to a vault. But they would if their surname is yurchenko
Thats actually intriguing. I wonder what else we've been pronouncing wrong all this time?

Well, nearly everything to be honest. But that’s normal. If pronounced cappuccino the same in English as I do when speaking Italian, I’d sound like a complete idiot
How is it pronounced in Italian?

And how in the world do you speak so many languages??? I speak bits and pieces of several but still

I feel this is a cultural thing. Germans and Dutch looooove to go out of their way and use the pronunciation as close as usual to the original. Spaniards look at the word and read it like they would if it was a spanish word. You sound insanely preposterous if you don't. I sometimes do and I get legit comments on it.

I feel this is a cultural thing. Germans and Dutch looooove to go out of their way and use the pronunciation as close as usual to the original. Spaniards look at the word and read it like they would if it was a spanish word. You sound insanely preposterous if you don't. I sometimes do and I get legit comments on it.
As a Spanish person, does it make you want to die inside when English speakers try to say chorizo authentically?

As a Spanish person, does it make you want to die inside when English speakers try to say chorizo authentically?
Being mostly fluent in Spanish I feel this way when my family does this. I took a semester of AP Spanish last year and I've been in Spanish classes since kindergarten.

I honestly don't have a position, I can do both. I appreciate some effort when it's about my name, but I've also given up on that long ago so I'm not that bothered.

Also I think the deal with Spanish is, there are many many variations of it. Like I lisp that "z", but most spanish speaking countries don't. So it's not that weird if the person does it

How is it pronounced in Italian?

And how in the world do you speak so many languages??? I speak bits and pieces of several but still
By accident really. My grandparents are Irish and Italian and Russian and Ukrainian. I was born in Germany and spent most of my childhood in England. As an adult I lived in Monaco for a few years

Well, nearly everything to be honest. But that’s normal. If pronounced cappuccino the same in English as I do when speaking Italian, I’d sound like a complete idiot
I guess this is why so many people find Giada DeLaurentiis' pronunciations of Italian words to be annoying. She's pronouncing them as she would if she was speaking Italian.

I honestly don't have a position, I can do both. I appreciate some effort when it's about my name, but I've also given up on that long ago so I'm not that bothered.

Also I think the deal with Spanish is, there are many many variations of it. Like I lisp that "z", but most spanish speaking countries don't. So it's not that weird if the person does it
Your name is HARD

By accident really. My grandparents are Irish and Italian and Russian and Ukrainian. I was born in Germany and spent most of my childhood in England. As an adult I lived in Monaco for a few years
Wow! That's a lot. I've only ever lived in the boooooring midwestern US

I appreciate some effort when it's about my name, but I've also given up on that long ago so I'm not that bothered.
LMAO, people seem to have a hard fucking time pronouncing my name even after I've said it multiple times. But that's a whole different conversation.

Incidentally, my first name is Italian.

It seems as though even when we're pronouncing the vowels and consonants correctly, non-Russian speakers are frequently getting the stresses wrong.

In addition to showing some gorgeous gymnastics from perhaps my favorite era, this old Soviet newsreel is useful because the narrator lists the names of many gymnasts at the end. That's how I learned it's "YUR-chenka" and not "Yur-CHENK-o," or "SHAP-oshnikova" and not "Shap-OSH-nik-ova."

Your name is HARD
Which is why I don't go ballistic when people say it wrong. I will say though, if I just sent you a mail and you reply to me and write WHATEVER, I will take 3 tenths on my general E-score for you

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back