Our Commentary on the Commentary!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Exactly. That’s what I do not understand. Q for K I understand but not CH
Mandarin has a number of "ch" adyacent sounds, so they need different options. They already have ch (as in Cheng Fei), "Q" (Qiu), "Z" (Zou) and even for us spanish speakers "ZH", that are all kind of close. I feel ZH is easier to differentiate for English speakers as it's very close to your J as in Jazz. The Spanish commentator's take on qqy towards the end of the games was "Chichiuhuan", which, we're making progress so C+.

It's kind of like French and the vowels. They still write it how it's supposed to, we speak whatever the hell we want cause the differences are hard to grasp when you don't speak it, they get mad. Rinse and repeat.

View attachment 10971
It's called studying and preparing for a big job. It's what adults do.
I'm getting into broadcasting for esports, and a big part of my prep has been to make sure I know the name of in-game abilities instead of just calling them whatever. And I'm a newbie caster in a niche space. Preparation is important.

I'm American. We got Siobhan and Sinead (RIP Sinead O'Connor) down pat, but Saoirse is still giving us some trouble.
Saoirse is easy to say- it’s just Sorsha. It’s understanding how Saoirse equals Sorsha that’s difficult.

Saoirse is easy to say- it’s just Sorsha. It’s understanding how Saoirse equals Sorsha that’s difficult.
Actually...looking at it, it's kind of easy to see how Saoirse = Sorsha. As long as you don't get too hung up on -se = sha

Actually...looking at it, it's kind of easy to see how Saoirse = Sorsha. As long as you don't get too hung up on -se = sha
I think it’s the pattern of having 3 consecutive consonants or 3 consecutive vowels that doesn’t follow with how the logic of English speakers works.

The best ones are the ones you can't say in anything other than an Irish accent.

If anyone's ever seen Catastrophe, there's a running joke there that they give one of their kids an Irish name, Muireann, that nobody other than Irish people can say. I can say it, but only in an Irish accent. Not the way any of the Irish people in the programme do, though. Only my husband's Belfast accent. There is no English accent in which it works!

The best ones are the ones you can't say in anything other than an Irish accent.

If anyone's ever seen Catastrophe, there's a running joke there that they give one of their kids an Irish name, Muireann, that nobody other than Irish people can say. I can say it, but only in an Irish accent. Not the way any of the Irish people in the programme do, though. Only my husband's Belfast accent. There is no English accent in which it works!
Yes!!! I can say things when
I’m speaking Irish (which I rarely do because my Irish is terrible) but I can’t say them when I’m speaking English because I don’t have an Irish accent!

I have a similar issue when it comes to Russian names, which are often gymnastics terms. I say tkatchev completely differently if I’m speaking English than if I’m speaking Russian

(If anyone was wondering, I speak zero languages natively or fluently 😂)

Yes!!! I can say things when
I’m speaking Irish (which I rarely do because my Irish is terrible) but I can’t say them when I’m speaking English because I don’t have an Irish accent!

I have a similar issue when it comes to Russian names, which are often gymnastics terms. I say tkatchev completely differently if I’m speaking English than if I’m speaking Russian

(If anyone was wondering, I speak zero languages natively or fluently 😂)
Been wondering this for forever. How is tkatchev actually pronounced? There's so many skill names I don't know how to pronounce lol

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back