Our Commentary on the Commentary!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Denn

Staff member
Defender
Reaction score
I'm going to start it off and say that Justin Spring has been FANTASTIC — astute, well-spoken, casual enough while providing technical information...

And Rich Lerner, who is not part of the gymnastics world at all, did his homework and came prepared!

Last edited:
If I wake up tomorrow and it's just Laurie Hernandez alone with an NBC analyst I will be distraught. I can't take an entire week of her without a buffer.

Please, please let someone else be in the booth with them. John Roethlisberger, anyone, PLEASE.

Off gymnastics: the female commentator for rugby was over-enunciating everything (or shouting it?) in a way that was so weird and super annoying. Also, rugby makes absolutely no sense to a casual viewer. Swimming: something was strange with Rowdy's mic (or did he have dental surgery?) cuz he sounded like he was in mono where everyone else was stereo. Diving: I always forget her name, but I like the announcer lady and the NBC guy is great too.

Justin Spring was a HUGE highlight for me. His commentary has been insightful and thoughtful and informative. Thumbs up.
I feel like John usually does a decent job too, so overall I’m very pleasantly surprised by the men’s commentators.

The commentary on Reddit is unmatched

Attachments

• IMG_1873.jpeg
    IMG_1873.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 63,214
I literally shouted this morning "who the eff is Justin?? Justin spring???" He was terrific.

And diving commentary lady is best in show imo.

I watched two hours of surfing today and I still have zero idea how that sport works. That’s a sport that has gymnastics absolutely beat on bewildering scoring systems.

I switched to the international feed and Blythe is (unsurprisingly) a billion times better than Laurie.

I dislike the commentary Blythe provides as well. She routinely says things that are a little bit wrong.

Neither of them sound natural either — they both sound like they are trying to perform (different) characters.

Neither of them can bring herself to describe gymnasts' mistakes honestly either.

Last edited:
Who thought Laurie deserved this assignment? She hasn't commentated that much and has never been good. Sam Peszek is terrible too, so I don't know who else they could bring.
Tanith Belbin. (though, of course, her knowledge of gymnastics is studied but she does study.) But Tanith and KJC would could be a dream team.

Aly Raisman would have been a much better choice than Laurie. As annoying as she can be she would have taken this assignment very seriously and done her homnework and made sur eshe knew all about all the athletes

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back