NCAA Seniors COVID year eligibility Yay or Nay!

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Shows you how hindsight is 20/20. Looking back, it now makes perfect sense that she would choose to go to Arkansas for her ast year. She obviously is someone who values emotions and feelings. She pulled out of the regional final for mental health issues. She definitely wanted to go someplace she felt comfortable and around friends. And what better place than with Jordan, Felicia, and Kyla? Either way, good for her, I hope she has another great season!

She definitely wanted to go someplace she felt comfortable and around friends.
Well…and also someplace that had an open scholarship for a senior wanting to take a Covid year.

Morgan Price broke her NLI and decided to compete at Fisk University instead of Arkansas, so they happened to have a freed up scholarship.

LSU needed a vaulter and Utah had no scholarships free. I was wondering where Lilly Lippeatt’s scholarship went…looks like LSU pulled it and offered it to Cammy instead.

they offered her medical retirement and she declined.
Also not sure if this medical retirement rumor is anywhere near accurate.

Lippeat had shoulder surgery about 4 months ago but was just a month or so ago training at least three events according to her IG stories and posts. She was clearly doing NCAA skills aerial to full dismount on beam, front layout immediate rudi, back 1 1/2 to front full, whip immediate double layout on the rod floor, and lots of bars skills.

She didn’t look like “medical retirement” to me. She also put “happy and healthy” as an IG post.
So IMO, if LSU did offer her a medical retirement it is because they wanted to pull her scholarship and offer it to someone else.

Clemson offered her a scholarship so…something is not quite right.
Unless Amy Smith is gambling that a year off of major training and competition will put her in a better position that she is right now.

Even if Lippeat ends up never competing for Clemson, Smith can claim to have recruited an elite, and a US National team member at that.

Even if Lippeat ends up never competing for Clemson, Smith can claim to have recruited an elite, and a US National team member at that.
That is 100% accurate. On top of that it makes it more appealing for 2024 and 2025 commits. Especially CGA, who typically cranks out enough level 10s.

So IMO, if LSU did offer her a medical retirement it is because they wanted to pull her scholarship and offer it to someone else.
If I understand correctly, if she’d accepted the medical retirement she would have kept her scholarship. So, did LSU gamble on her not accepting, in hopes of freeing up her scholarship for someone else? If so, that’s both ballsy and shitty.

This stuff does happen. But I tend to think the truth lies somewhere in between. Schools do conduct physicals on their athletes, they do sometimes reveal injuries that were unknown prior. Sometimes the school does not want to take the risk of an athlete being injured, potentially fatal, in competition especially if they discovered something before competition. Imagine the liability. And I am sure some coaching staff may not want to confront managing an athlete that may have restrictions because the school’s medical staff puts them in place. Athletes want to play and sometimes do, to the detriment of their health. I guess I am trying to say, its probably a bit more complex than some nefarious plot by LSU because they didn’t want an athlete anymore.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back