NCAA Seniors COVID year eligibility Yay or Nay!

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

If I understand correctly, if she’d accepted the medical retirement she would have kept her scholarship.
Medical retirements do not count toward a team’s total scholarship athlete limit. The athletic department either pays out their scholarship for the four years or does not and offers a financial aid package.
However, once an athlete accepts a medical retirement. it cannot be undone. So it is a major decision because that goes their NCAA athletic career should they accept. Medical retirement is different than medical redshirt.

Either way, LSU moved quickly on offering the medical retirement to Lilly Lippeatt and then extending the scholarship offer to Cammy Hall. The turn around time is suspicious.
Additionally for Jay Clark, that is an additional scholarship he has next season, since Cammy Hall has one more year left.

Shallon Olsen and Nya Reed are taking a 5th year

5,829 Likes, 250 Comments - Nya Reed (@iamny_reed) on Instagram: One last ride 🐊

Rachel Baumann transferred to Florida for her 5th year. I know UGA got a lot of transfers this off season but did any of their seniors stay there for their Covid year?

I know UGA got a lot of transfers this off season but did any of their seniors stay there for their Covid year?
None stayed.

Baumann originally said she was not taking her COVID year in an IG post, which has since been removed.
APL, Ward, Roberts, Schild, and of course Lukacs all retired. Mikayla Magee didn’t make an obvious announcement, but it was alluded to that she was done.

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 6.45.34 PM

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 6.45.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 6.45.23 PM.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: One
Can someone remind me whether Alyssa Baumann will be doing one more year at Florida? I thought she was finished at the end of the season, but was she among the athletes who announced they’d be returning?

Assuming everyone is healthy, the depth on this team is insane. I wonder if we’ll see some transfer out?

I dont think so, the only possible one I can think of is Richards, but she seems to be genuinely happy and fine being a role contributor on the team. Still, while on paper they seem pretty well stacked, there are a lot of questions, will Lazzari, Hurd and McCusker come back to any degree from their injuries to seriously contribute? What state will DiCello be in? Who will step up to that rock-solid Skaggs lead-off role? They do have the luxury of resting and changing line-ups and still being very competitive. We will see, do they have enough to stop the Oklahoma juggernaut for one season?

It is also very probable that several of them are not on scholarship as the team is limited to 13.
Some of the graduate students are only eligible for one more year and could likely be considered walk ons. Even if they don’t have athletic scholarships, there are multiple ways to pay for grad school through grants and other scholarships. It is also probable that Baumann (who retired originally) finally decided to attend graduate school at Florida (or got accepted to the grad program) and since she was now going to be doing grad work there, opted to take her COVID year.

Richards was the one I was thinking of since she didn’t compete much last year and it might be difficult for her to make lineups if everyone is healthy.

Wow.
That’s shocking. I figured she would be done with UCLA but maybe it’s a new coaching staff that has kept her on.
I figured she might go to Cal since eMjae is there now.

Technically Frazier has two years left of eligibility, since she was injured before more than 30% of the season was finished. Technically, she could do a 6th year as well, like Peng Peng Lee did.

I thought Reed announced she was taking 5th yr at florida
Her IG post said “5th year activated” at the end. Maybe something has changed or it was an error that has yet to be corrected on the roster?

Last edited:
Reactions: nog

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back