Low D score routines for Simone?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I wonder if she could have done a full-in off uneven bars. Some gymnasts of her caliber don’t think of full-twisting doubles off of bars in the same way they do a wrap and twist like a Yurchenko double or Amanar or a double double or even a back 1.5 on floor. And… We did see her doing 1.5 twists off of bars in the practice gym (presumably failed doubles, but the full looked fine)

I agree that floor would have been super tough though unless a full-in was “ingrained” in her there, too…

Last edited:
There’s also the landing sized elephant in the room. I can believe Simone would have been capable of an FTY/Lopez combo plus some manner of double tuck, double pike and DLO on floor. I can equally well believe she’d have bounced out of them.
This is the same thought I had in my head reading this thread. Even at her best, Simone’s landings were bouncy. Now add landing when she’s not totally sure of herself in the air, she would at best be bouncing OOB and giving away a medal like Andrade or landing short and putting a hand or buttcheek down.

She posted videos of herself practicing that skill post-TF, and mostly landing them on her back or side. Definitely a no-go.

What’s the D score difference between the full in and double, 0.2? If she’d been capable of a full in, as things turned out Simone might’ve ended up with bronze on bars too. If the week hadn’t been bizarre enough already.

I wonder if she could have done a full-in off uneven bars
Full In’s were out.

Apparently she was working Front Full through to DLO though. So maybe it was only back twisting that got affected.

Wasn’t she trying to do doubles in that video? She did 1.5 twists, right? or is my memory wrong? It’s been a few months and I totally could be wrong.

My recollection is also she was attempting double double bar dismounts. At least the videos that she posted.

So maybe it was only back twisting that got affected.
According to interviews she’s still trying to work through the twisties. However she did do a straight front full from beam on tour so that makes sense.

Sounds like I was, actually. Either way, it didn’t look like it was going well!

My recollection is also she was attempting double double bar dismounts. At least the videos that she posted.
She did post it on her Twitter, She was able to get 1 1/2 twists in before getting lost.
She appeared super frustrated. I wonder if she could have done a full twist only, as the rest of her bars routine was fine as it was. But no one could really have anticipated that bronze was up for grabs, so that made zero sense to try to adapt the routine just to compete it for 6th/7th place.
But as we have learned from the last two Olympics is that anything can happen and we get a surprise bronze medalist. (2020- Suni wasn’t a surprise for bronze but rather her score was much lower and she was the co-favorite for gold)

But no one could really have anticipated that bronze was up for grabs, so that made zero sense to try to adapt the routine just to compete it for 6th/7th place.
I got the impression they probably decided fairly early on to focus on the medal. It was obvious as soon as it became clear this wasn’t a one day only thing that beam was where her best chance was. As you say, there was just no reason at all to imagine 14.6ish was going to be top 3. And if she’d fallen, it might have put her off beam too.

I got the impression they probably decided fairly early on to focus on the medal. It was obvious as soon as it became clear this wasn’t a one day only thing that beam was where her best chance was. As you say, there was just no reason at all to imagine 14.6ish was going to be top 3. And if she’d fallen, it might have put her off beam too.
Additionally, beam was the very last women’s event so it gave her as much training time as possible.

Yeah, the last time Biles competed a double pike off beam was 2012, so I imagine much of her focus was on regaining that skill

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back