Jade came 14th at Olympic Trials Night 1

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Doug1233

Defender
If she hadn’t done the World Cup route, and USA had instead earned the final +1 at Pan Ams …

Would Jade be in the conversation for the second +1?

No, she watered down.

And I agree, as it stands she wouldn’t be in the conversation at all if she didn’t have the locked spot, but she’d be gutting it out with full difficulty regardless of what her mysterious injury is if she didn’t have a locked spot, so.

If there were two +1 spots for Tom to pick, who do you think he would choose?

Last edited:
Agree. It’s really impossible to say. There would clearly be room on the team for someone who can vault and in an ideal world also cover Suni on floor, and that’s at least potentially Jade at the moment, but there would also be competition for the spot. A fully healthy Jade would probably be a shoo in.

All this makes me think she did make the right choice to go this route.

I do wonder why that’s happening. It made a lot of sense before we knew about her injury: of course she wants the opportunity to be on a podium and work some kinks out in competition before Tokyo. Less so now.

To me it didn’t appear that she was trying to drill her landings, she was very bouncy, it seemed on purpose.

Yes, I was in the arena 4th row by floor, and I got the sense she was landing gingerly, favoring one leg particularly in warm-ups.

During the general warm-up she tried several DLOs and one front layout to full-in; she did not attempt a Chuso, Silivas, or Moors. In the one-touch she did a couple of DLOs, left the podium early, and talked with Brian for a long time and seemed unsure whether to compete a routine up until the moment she started.

The Amanar was great, though, and she did one slightly less great in warm-up. I didn’t see her train any 1/2 on vaults.

IIRC, bouncing out of tumbling is a way to protect the ankles. Better to have too much power and bounce out than be short and kill your ankles. I remember Biles saying she lands like that on purpose at practice to avoid injury, then she tries to control her landings in competition.

Biles always looks like she doesn’t really care about her landings cos she’s already won by so much. Maybe it is to save her ankles. Which is fair enough.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back