Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_3986

Not sure where to post this, but found it interesting

Even without crazy domestic scoring, those are the top gymnasts in the World + the world champion who hasn’t competed AA this year: Biles, Andrade, Listunova, Jones, Melnikova, Gadirova. I think history will look kindly on the quality of that top 6.

Last edited:
Just a couple days too late to include what would otherwise be #8 here, interesting in that it adds a new name to the mix. And, if the level of domestic scoring that awarded that AA set a 57.200 makes it seem meaningless, I think it’s interesting at least to imagine whether she might have earned a silver or bronze at last year’s worlds with this all around set.

Just a couple days too late to include what would otherwise be #8 here, interesting in that it adds a new name to the mix. And, if the level of domestic scoring that awarded that AA set a 57.200 makes it seem meaningless, I think it’s interesting at least to imagine whether she might have earned a silver or bronze at last year’s worlds with this all around set.
D’Amato got a 8.900 E score on bars and an 8.800 E score on floor, so definitely so domestic scoring was definitely in effect. So probably a more realistic 55.9-56.0

That is still a medal threat for worlds right? Silver?

That is still a medal threat for worlds right? Silver?
Biles and Andrade should be favorites for gold and silver.
Jones should be in there for bronze.
D’Amato definitely can be in the top group.

I think Shilese would have deserved to beat D’Amato with these all-around performances side-by-side. But that means Amato’s All-around would have to be hugely marked down by > 1.8 points!! I don’t think all that margin is accounted for by enthusiastic Italian judges though, I would actually contend that Shilese deserved 5-6 more tenths at Worlds. I think she was underscored that entire competition.

Add in Gadirova and I think that is the leading group. MDJDS with a steady performance could capitalize on mistakes from others but I don’t think she is fully there. And, well, when was the last international (other than the water bottle classic) that she hit when it counted? Chiles could get a score up there also, but she is definitely 2-pered if Jones and Biles hit.

But that means Amato’s All-around would have to be hugely marked down by > 1.8 points!! I don’t think all that margin is accounted for by enthusiastic Italian judges though
I had D’Amato’s bars at 8.3 (-.6) and floor at 7.9 (-.9) so that is 1.5 points lower, but that’s from my standpoint. This brings the AA total down to a 55.700, which is actually lower than what I stated at 55.9-56.0.

It was a great bars and beam, but definitely not approaching 9.0 on execution on either routine.

Esponda working on some upgrades.

Last edited:
I look at her gymnastics and I think, this is Jade if she had pursued elite as a hopes/junior.

Last edited:
Jade had such a fascinating trajectory. She didn’t do level 10 until her age 15 season! She qualified for the old JO National Invitational that year on vault and floor. Jade finished 3rd AA at JO Nationals the next year (2016). She was all set to another year of level 10 when Valeri can calling because the US had zero vaulters in 2017.

She wasn’t some crazy stand out levels kid, either. She never qualified for level 9 westerns, never won an Arizona state meet until her 2016 level 10 season. I know her beam and bars at the elite level is often lacking, but I suspect that the only reason she’s been able to get as far as she has on those two events is because going all the way through the JO program forces you to have great basics and technique if you want to be a successful level 10. You cannot be chucking shit in level 10 and qualify for nationals. She has a foundation that so many of the kids that go the Hopes route don’t seem to have.

Last edited:
Yeah, the technique here is quite good despite not having a nice line or natural swing. That full-out is spectacular, and the toe-shoot is better than we’ve seen from stronger bar workers in the past.

On the topic of hopes/Jr Elite’s lacking a solid foundation, I hope if USAG will consider tightening up scoring of the elite compulsories and at elite qualifiers in general. Tons of elites have gotten scores that never materialize outside of those meets especially in the junior level.

Fate was on our side that Skinner chose to start NCAA after Rio, and Valeri coaxed Jade into doing elite. MyKayla Skinner world AA champion was not unlikely that year I fear. Plus, she’d have been on the competing team in Stuttgart had Jade never joined elite, and maybe even gotten a team spot. In light of that, Jade’s Olympic gold is a lot easier to stomach.

Last edited:
Holy cow, that full out was swoon worthy.

Last edited:
Well, damn. Jade’s UB wasn’t bad there. Nice to see a toe shoot to HB that doesn’t result in a dead hang and muscled-up kip.

She made huge improvements during her elite career.

Same Wevers new beam routine. I don’t think it plays to her strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back