Gymcastic. Thoughts?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I saw this on Reddit and I have to say I agree that this is very poor from Gymcastic

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they were saying that Gadirova’s scoring potential is 14.6 so the gold was in her hands if she hit. But either way it looks bad (and it’s possible that they were implying that there was somehow a domestic panel there, which would obviously be wrong and stupid).

Last edited:
Of course it wasn’t a domestic panel. But what I meant is if you ignore “domestic” then it could just be that they’re saying that she can score that high: “but judges gave Gadirova a 14.6 earlier this year” – this would imply that it’s hers to lose (not that it’s a domestic panel).

Last edited:
A huge conspiracy theory on the idiot side of the Gymternet is that “all the judges decided to give it to Jess”. Some of the comments on Youtube videos are just awful. I hope she doesn’t read them.

This was a breakthrough worlds for the Brits that just happened to take place on British soil. Some people aren’t use to British WAG success and look for reasons. Anyone remember Zmeskal’s AA win in Indianapolis? Same kind of grumbling then. (I’m NOT saying Zmeskal deserved her win.I honestly don’t know. Just saying historic wins by the home team almost always causes backlash)

A few different factors have aligned for Britain. Out of all the top nations, it was Britain who were most able to capitalise on Russia not being there where as the US and China did pretty much what they do every worlds. There was also the factor that Italy, who were very dominant at euros, have been plagued by injury issues and most of their top athletes were absent or underperformed. It’s a similar tale on the mens side too, China and Japan didn’t particularly benefit from Russia not being there, and Britain did

They could have easily said that Jessica scored a 14.00 at Euros with a less difficult routine.
Jess had a 5.7 D score at Euros and a 6.0 at Worlds.

Gymcastic is entirely at fault here.

A few different factors have aligned for Britain. Out of all the top nations, it was Britain who were most able to capitalise on Russia not being there where as the US and China did pretty much what they do every worlds.
I disagree. Britain has had the most international experience out of any nation here this year. 3/5 of the team did CWG and the entire team did Euros. That experience under pressure numerous times this year is IMO what helped GBR be so consistent at Worlds, they faced enormous pressure all year long.

That’s definitely a factor too. It’s no 1 particular thing that has lead to GB success. But numerically if you look at the medals, it’s GB who have been able to take advantage of Russia not being there

They could have easily said that Jessica scored a 14.00 at Euros with a less difficult routine.
Jess had a 5.7 D score at Euros and a 6.0 at Worlds.

Gymcastic is entirely at fault here.
She could have just listed any of her scores from this very competition. Every single time Jess Gadirova walked onto the FX these Worlds she scored over a 14. There was no reason to mention irrelevant domestic scoring at all.

Prelims 14.1
TF 14.266
AA 14.4

Repeating any of these was going to easily top Jordan’s 13.833 (she didn’t even tweet Jordan’s score correctly!)

I think a lot of people still haven’t quite got their heads around the new artistry scoring

I think a lot of people still haven’t quite got their heads around the new artistry scoring
Tbh I don’t think the judges have either. All of these scores could be arrived at without even considering artistry. I think they only get heavy handed with them when someone is particularly lacking in the performance department.

They have not, especially the casual fan. If I see one more Chiles was robbed of floor gold and Carey robbed of silver on FB I will scream!!!

Reactions: Dex
I had to double check the artistry check lists for beam and floor when I judged today, and I feel pretty comfortable judging.
For the most part I was in line with the judges I think 13/16 times today for beam and floor.

Right. And based on all the judging we have done this week I really don’t feel that the way the artistry is evaluated has changed at all. Routines getting 3s in Tokyo would still get 3s here, IMO.

All of us judging this week would have noticed it for the poor artistry routines, if it had.

If anything, Worlds 2022 was more lenient than Kitakushu. And was definitely more lenient than Tokyo; especially on vault. They were throwing out 9.1s and 9.2s like candy here, when you really had to have a top top vault to get one in Tokyo.

Last edited:
I think they only get heavy handed with them when someone is particularly lacking in the performance department.
From what I have heard, they are going through the entire rubric each time and deductions often get quite heavy. However, I also have heard that exercises most of us would say are artistic are also getting hit a couple tenths, meaning a gymnast who loses 0.4 or 0.5 is not being penalized as badly relative to the gymnasts being penalized 0.2 with a clearly more artistic exercises.

So Jessica again on the podcast raised the issue of Jessica being “at home” as the reason why she won FX gold.

Thankfully Spencer and Kensley were there to call nonsense on that.

When will she learn?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back