CKC is out at Georgia (Courtney Kupets-Carter)

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

I wonder what someone like Roberson or Sumanasekera are feeling about this, who would've clearly wanted that coaching duo into the next quad. Also it clearly signals that Biles is done after this year, which we all probably would've guessed.
well it's not like their weaknesses have improved much at WCC with the Landis which was the point of going there, but they will likely feel sidelined from now on. A lot depends on who they get in to take over.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get an 'assistant' type coach in to support Laurent for the next year and then don't appoint anyone of significance until after he has left.

I wonder if UGA will leave an assistant coaching position open for Laurent to take post WCC ro do we think he will still stay in the level 10/elite World at a new gym in Georgia?

Thinking about the total lack of junior elites from WCC.....wonder if the Landis have been planning on leaving for a while now.

(The general lack of junior elites, and homegrown elites, from WCC the entire time the Landis have been there could be a thread unto itself)
At least in college they shouldn’t need to start them at zero, just try to make them better versions of themselves. If Cecile has been visible at the camps with juniors and been reasonably nice to them, there are a few years worth of "pre"-recruiting.

Is Jordan more consistent because of UCLA or WCC? Are Caylor's improvements the result of good coaching or just a teen "figuring it out"? Are the Landis (and Cecile in particular for this discussion) good coaches or have they just been blessed by having talented athletes? It will be interesting to see what happens.

I guess an elite coach is less likely to be tainted by lack of results than another college coach would. If they fire her in 3 years for not winning a championship, that probably won't impact her chances of getting a new club job.

well it's not like their weaknesses have improved much at WCC with the Landis which was the point of going there, but they will likely feel sidelined from now on. A lot depends on who they get in to take over.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get an 'assistant' type coach in to support Laurent for the next year and then don't appoint anyone of significance until after he has left.
To be fair, I think a point and a half on bars, even if still very much a work in progress, is a pretty big improvement.
I wonder if whatever club Laurent moves to will become the new big thing

This is insanity for the US elite scene. WCC was becoming such a destination under the Landis and now who knows what will happen. I forgot that Esponda is also there now too lol, what a world.
To move from Montana all the way to Texas. I doubt she moved knowing it would only be a limited amount of time.

She will also be seen more by college recruiters there. Montana kids aren’t even on the radar usually.

In reality, there are very very few elites who are completely homegrown. Because the chances of someone with the talent and ambition to become an elite gymnast is unlikely to have started out at a gym that does elite.

No, WCC probably isn’t old enough to have an elite whose been there since mommy & me, but they don’t seem to have kids who they’ve taken from say L7 to elite
It's an interesting thought exercise though. The only gymnast that comes to mind who stayed at the same gym from day one to the Olympics is Shawn Johnson.

Dominque Dawes was at Hills from day 1, I believe. Bridget Sloan might have started at Sharp's--if not, she switched very young. Nastia, of course. Probably some others I'm not thinking of.

Dominque Dawes was at Hills from day 1, I believe. Bridget Sloan might have started at Sharp's--if not, she switched very young. Nastia, of course. Probably some others I'm not thinking of.
I think Bridget always stayed at Sharp's. I made the mistake of checking out Sharp's gym website back in 2008 and was immediately hit with "artistic" photos of a 4- to 5-year-old Bridget which I thought was kind of weird for a gym's site. But now in hindsight...

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back