CKC is out at Georgia (Courtney Kupets-Carter)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I literally don't understand why they would even have thought that Jay would go to them. Even if they hadn't won nationals this year they have been highly successful and he has top recruits lined up for years to come. He would have to be a fool to leave that to go back to the people who fired him. And Jay does not strike me as a fool.
Make no mistake, if this is true, there was interest from Jay et.al. An AD doesn't make that move of firing the whole staff unless he (or she) has had discussions through intermediaries about the position and what the compensation and support would be. Again, if true, this wasn't just Georgia with an inflated view of itself. Jay was interested and talking with them.

I want to know why it was Jay AND the McCools rather than just try to get the McCools themselves.

I get Jay is the big name head coach they seem to be seeking and his history with the school but maybe they would have had some success if they targeted the assistants and tried to frame it as their chance to rebuild a legacy SEC program.

Maybe it was just a way to get more money from LSU. Like ‘I’m getting an offer from this one over here, what are you going to do to keep me?’

I want to know why it was Jay AND the McCools rather than just try to get the McCools themselves.

I get Jay is the big name head coach they seem to be seeking and his history with the school but maybe they would have had some success if they targeted the assistants and tried to frame it as their chance to rebuild a legacy SEC program.
While the McCools are always on the list of "assistants ready for HC jobs" They haven't been, and seeing the results of previous hire, that might have been part of the AD's hiring criteria. If so, we should expect Georgia to hire someone that has been or is currently a HC

While the McCools are always on the list of "assistants ready for HC jobs" They haven't been, and seeing the results of previous hire, that might have been part of the AD's hiring criteria. If so, we should expect Georgia to hire someone that has been or is currently a HC
Fair, it definitely seems like they want head coach expereince more than anything.

But for me, I think being senior assistants as multiple top programs is just as relevant, or even more relevant, than being the head coach at a lower program. They've got experience coaching athletes to hit at the championship meets, refining routines to be 9.95-10 quality, recruiting the top athletes etc. These are all things Georgia needs in their program if they want to get back to championship level as they've stated.

Someone mentioned Rhonda Faehn and that’s the HC who’s won multiple national and SEC titles that would have a reason to want this job as a way back into the NCAA. Not sure if she wants to come back but if she does this could be tempting.

Someone mentioned Rhonda Faehn and that’s the HC who’s won multiple national and SEC titles that would have a reason to want this job as a way back into the NCAA. Not sure if she wants to come back but if she does this could be tempting.
I sometimes wonder, "what if" she wasnt lured by the old guard USAG and stayed at Florida. That was why UF was really starting to roll and at the same time OU started their run. Would UF become the dynasty that OU became or would they have traded titles?

Crank up the rumor mill again. Josie Angeny has "stepped away" from her position at Kent State.

Ya, I am more of the recent gymnast graduate, thought about trying the coaching route and decided not the path she wanted, like Felicia Hano who followed Jordyn to Arkansas for a year or two.

The rumor I am hearing is Ashley Miles Greig has interviewed for the position.

If it is Ashley Miles Greig - that is also crazy. She literally has one year of coaching experience, albeit head coach.

That would suck for Iowa State if that is the case. Maybe Ryan Snyder will take over with his wife Samantha as co-head coaches.

If it is Miles, I wonder if Josie is an assistant coach. Could help to have someone familiar with the team, and who would know various gymnasts there.

I wonder if they’ve approached Brian Carey. He would be an interesting hire

I doubt he has any interest in that. I am under the impression that once Jade is done next year, he will resign and head back home. He took an opportunity to get paid and also coach Jade toward another Olympics.

Wasn’t Aimee Boormann in the mix for the Clemson job?

Gymcastic is saying that UGA has already decided. If that's true, I imagine we'll here something soon

If it is Ashley Miles Greig - that is also crazy. She literally has one year of coaching experience, albeit head coach.

That would suck for Iowa State if that is the case. Maybe Ryan Snyder will take over with his wife Samantha as co-head coaches.

If it is Miles, I wonder if Josie is an assistant coach. Could help to have someone familiar with the team, and who would know various gymnasts there.
With AMG being so inexperienced herself, I'd be wanting assistants with more extensive coaching experience than Josie has.

Interesting hire. Splashy in a way, but still kinda a reach on another level. Both unproven head coaches, not sure how well the elite coaching translates to the L10/college athletes. Ryan is a solid recruiter, but never been a head coach. Time will tell. At least they will be keeping their current athletes.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back