Chusovitina will attempt to qualify to Los Angeles 2028!!, would be her 9th Olympics!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I wish Chuso would have learned a Shaposh and Ezhova back when the open code came into being. Her uneven bars for the past couple decades have been hampered by having no useful bar changes. It's tragic she's continued to do nothing but the overshoot, eating .5 deduction every time just to have something to get down to the low bar, and then doing a stumpy toe-shoot back to the HB.

At this point it would be better if she completely ignored the low bar, except for starting the routine with a straight jump over LB to HB mount. Follow it up with a Clear-hip, Toe-on, Giant 1/2, Wenning, Giant 1/1, Giant, Dismount and she should score 2 points better than what she's been doing. That's 4.0 D-score with very little to deduct (it's impressive her dismount is still super crisp).

I wish Chuso would have learned a Shaposh and Ezhova back when the open code came into being. Her uneven bars for the past couple decades have been hampered by having no useful bar changes. It's tragic she's continued to do nothing but the overshoot, eating .5 deduction every time just to have something to get down to the low bar, and then doing a stumpy toe-shoot back to the HB.

At this point it would be better if she completely ignored the low bar, except for starting the routine with a straight jump over LB to HB mount. Follow it up with a Clear-hip, Toe-on, Giant 1/2, Wenning, Giant 1/1, Giant, Dismount and she should score 2 points better than what she's been doing. That's 4.0 D-score with very little to deduct (it's impressive her dismount is still super crisp).
That's a really interesting idea.

Agree the dismount is still very good. I suspect the salto mounts and dismounts will be some of the skills she holds on to longest.

What a (likely) inglorious end for a legend
Depending on the injury, I'm not mentally retiring her just yet (I mean an actual retirement, as opposed to her previous efforts).

She's 50 next year, and it's the only worlds of the quad without a qualifying requirement afaik. I wouldn't be surprised to see her do at least some world cups. Can imagine she'd like the kudos and recognition of being an elite gymnast competing in her 50s.

If its a surgery one, ignore all this.

I wonder what she got injured on. Sadly I would bet it was on the unnecessary Full-in upgrade she was training. The classic two-pass routine of 1.5+front full and Double Back was all she needed.

Unfortunate. But I don't mind the narrative. "Gymnast competing at nearly 50 gets injured at last chance to qualify for her 14000th* Olympics". It's more badass that she got injured trying then just failed to qualify. The suckiest part is that it happened at a home meet, but I can't imagine any up and coming gymnast in Tashkent would feel let down by her inability to compete. They know what she's done

As long as her body holds up, she is having fun (or at least not hating it), and her money holds out, she should go for it. That said, she has been losing ground technically for a while, I'm not sure what she plans to bring in 4 years that will change her chances.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back