CGA All-Stars

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

OnoNoKomachi

Staff member
Defender
Men's NCAA all stars - East v West. A chance to see some of the top guys before the season gets going

Watch free -

Scoring is out of 10, but judges are using the FIG code, so there should be some relationship

How the teams stack up based on 2023 NCAA avg and hi scores
1702745338442.png

Replay

They used some kind of weird scoring system.

Graphics and presentation were great.

Fred Richard did really watered down dismounts.

Really cool idea to do the athletes crest, with all of their accomplishments.

Interesting format. The 10.0 system works well, but MAG should stick with elite scoring.

Bizarre to see the athletes competing shirtless. Who decided that?
The organizers. The guys were told to do this.

There were comments on Twitter wondering what was going on. I think it' a marketing idea.

A few Stanford guys went ahead and wore uniforms.

The 10.0 was their own made up system.

Just think of the fit people would have if it got out female athletes were told to dress in skimpier outfits for an exhibition than they would for a competition.

I doubt the guys cared, because they work out shirtless anyway.

I'm just sayin.

Bizarre to see the athletes competing shirtless. Who decided that?
Not that bizarre. This isn't a "real" competition, more like a pre-season exhibition. I wasn't offended by it.

I was more worried about that Illini floor mat with the puckers in places. Seemed like a chance to trip or get injured.

Not that bizarre. This isn't a "real" competition, more like a pre-season exhibition. I wasn't offended by it.

I was more worried about that Illini floor mat with the puckers in places. Seemed like a chance to trip or get injured.
I mean I am far from offended from men doing athletics while scantily clad, lol... but I just think back to when I was competing and how insane this would have looked to me!

Perhaps this was not viewed as a "competition" for them?

I think it would be cool if they had unitards made for them since west=red and east=blue. Like any true "all stars" game/meet.etc

But that costs money.

This meet is basically cramming in a bunch of men's gymnastics marketing ideas that have been floating around the discourse for literally decades since NCAA men's programs started falling off a cliff in the 90s.

The a) shirtlessness b) return to a 10.0 system c) experimenting with competition formats that draw from the excitement of other pro/college sports -- all of this is part of that long-standing dialogue.

As for shirtlessness-- I'm all for it. All for choice, really, e.g. the German team's shift to unitards. Most women have been made to compete in less clothing than they prefer to practice in (shorts over a leo is most common), whereas for men the opposite is true. Not to mention the context for gendered power dynamics is obviously not the same if you simply reverse things, as OnoNoKomachi mentioned.

As a female (and I am not alone in this), some get upset when we see athletes sexualized (because of our own experiences). It could backfire, especially if it gets out the athletes were told to dress a certain way (which in this case they were).

Are boys going to want to start competing in a sport that is marketed this way?

I just don't see this marketing idea making much of a difference.

I've seen individual athletes in already popular sports market themselves in this way.

Is there an example of a men's sport where this approach has worked?

Even women's? I can think of beach volleyball, but almost no one cares about that outside the Olympics (and the beach volleyball players in the NCAA do not compete in that bikini like uniform).

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back