British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

My congrats to Jessica Gadirova ! She is the new British AA champion ! Wishing the same to her sista Jennifer. The Gadirova twins ROCK !!

Great Britain is getting dominant in gymnastics. In gymnastics, GB never had it so good. In future Olympics in gymnastics, GB will win Team Olympic Gold, and the USA Team Olympic Silver. Great Britain is a challenge to the USA in gymnastics. USA, watch out !

The Gadirova twins ROCK !!

José M.

But for Becky to compete AA for the first time in years (?)….
I remember her competing AA at the 2014 British (silver). Not sure if she’s done AA since. It was a pleasant surprise even then.

Last edited:
Mmm, we have two gymnasts competing AA with what would normally be viewed as sound health reasons not to, early in the season, and one of them evidently not ready. It does look a certain way, doesn’t it? That they’re either responding to something that’s in the selection criteria this year or to what happened last year. And looking in, it’s hard to see how either the gymnasts concerned or the federation have particularly benefitted from it.

Unless the selection criteria is clear about an AA gymnast being preferential, then it looks like gymnasts are pushing themselves to cover all bases, as they’ve no trust in the selection policy or the information they are being told

The latter possibility is worrying. Becky feeling that way after last year is probably unavoidable, but if Alice does too that’s more significant.

Alice knows that having the 4th best AA set in Britain got her an Olympic bronze medal

Reactions: Bob
And perhaps more to the point, she had it several months before the actual Games themselves. But of course last spring, she wasn’t coming off surgery for torn ligaments.

She is a new senior and has always been a lovely gymnast. The Welsh team is stacked for CWG.

The Welsh team is stacked for CWG.
I am looking forward to seeing them get a chance to shine at CWG.

I couldn’t find WAG selection procedures, but here are the MAG rules for Euros selection:
https://www.british-gymnastics.org/...amps-selection-policy-junior-senior-2022/file

Those are some high minimum score (page 5) standards!

On a reread of that twitter post I noted that Becky refers to “the next set of trials” so I don’t think we are reaching with our speculation here.

Last edited:
I would love to see her picking up medals at CWG or Euros this summer.
My fantasy is worlds bars gold in Liverpool.

I can’t find it on YT but, lest we forget, she has a bronze on beam from 2006 CWG (when juniors could compete). It’s easy to forget how long she’s been around sometimes. She’s packed so much joy and hardship into her long career. I think I’ve said before that her story would make an amazing book.

Last edited:
She went oob, and her landing needs to improve. However, she is truly promising. Wishing her SUCCESS !

José M.

Espoir Women Results

All Around
:1st_place_medal: Ellie Lewis, Clwb Cymru Caerdydd, 47.550
:2nd_place_medal: Jemima Taylor, Clwb Cymru Caerdydd, 47.400
:3rd_place_medal: Ffion Burgum, Clwb Cymru Caerdydd, 46.750
4. Esme Griffiths, Robin Hood, 46.450
5. Keira Pedelty, City of Newcastle, 46.050
6. Shantae-Eve Amankwaah, Bristol Hawks, 45.900
7. A’Sheerah Mashalleck, Carousel, 45.800
8. Scarlett Bullock, Corby, 45.150

Vault
:1st_place_medal: Abigail Campbell, Notts, 12.725
:2nd_place_medal: Keira Pedelty, City of Newcastle, 12.300
:3rd_place_medal: Arabella Aston, Horsham, 12.100

Uneven Bars
:1st_place_medal: Ellie Lewis, Clwb Cymru Caerdydd, 12.700 (4.3, 8.100, bonus: 0.3)
:2nd_place_medal: Esme Griffiths, Robin Hood, 11.700 (4.1, 7.000, bonus 0.6)
:3rd_place_medal: Ffion Burgum, Clwb Cymru Caerdydd, 11.400 (3.6, 7.700, n-deds: 0.5, bonus: 0.6)

Balance Beam
:1st_place_medal: Daisy Wise, Tolworth, 12.350 (4.1, 8.250)
:2nd_place_medal: Scarlett Bullock, Corby, 12.300 (3.8, 8.500)
:3rd_place_medal: A’Sheerah Marshalleck, Carousel, 11.700 (4.6, 7.100)

Floor Exercise
:1st_place_medal: Jemima Taylor, Clwb Cymru Caerdydd, 12.600 (4.9, 7.700)
:2nd_place_medal: Sienna McCoy, South Essex, 12.000 (4.5, 7.500)
:3rd_place_medal: Ffion Burgum, Clwb Cymru Caerdydd, 11.900 (4.3, 7.600)

GB have published their selection criteria for Europeans: https://www.british-gymnastics.org/...ag-european-champs-selection-policy-2022/file

They have minimums score criteria, I think for the first time?
• Seniors – Minimum of 5.40 D score on bars and beam, and 4.60 on vault and 5.00 on floor

• Juniors – Minimum of 4.50 D score on each apparatus, except vault – a minimum of 4.20

I think that could limit the number of gymnasts in contention, and to me it reads as if they only want AA gymnasts.

As we suspected, the various home nations championships and the British Championships both were two of the selection events. However there are several others.

Interestingly they’re leaving open the possibility that gymnasts can do CWG as well as Euros:

Gymnasts selected for the Commonwealth Games in July may also be considered for European
Championships if it is deemed an appropriate tactical build up for World Championships in October

The minimum D score point is also an interesting choice, particularly in the context of the sport moving more towards stricter execution. One can see what they’re attempting with it, but sometimes the way to a higher overall score might be to focus on execution. They should really have consulted @Doug1233.

Last edited:
I mean, are they purposefully trying to exclude Becky Downie because with smart watered down but clean routines she’s in danger of being one of their top scoring AAers?

At some point they might as well just write “and you’re excluded if your name is “Becky Downie”” into the selection criteria,

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back