British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I agree in that England will be in gold medal position. England is rising in gymnastics.

José M.

I’ve not really been paying attention to Canada recently, aside from Ellie Black the other week. Do we know where they’re at? Had assumed it would be between those two. England have won surprisingly few CWG team titles.

Aside from Black, who else is in the running for the CWG team? Is Shallon Olsen still competing? The younger Woo sister?

only if they take their A team for both CWG and Euros and Worlds. Without the usual top 5 Wales have a good chance. The issue is GB risk stuffing words if they put out their A team for all 3 comps. It is going to be a delicate balancing act. I can see them putting out half the top 6 for CWG and half for Euros so try and save them for worlds.

Ava Stewart (second to Black in several [or possibly all?] of their Olympic trials, but had a rough competition in Tokyo) was at Jesolo. She didn’t compete floor but competed her piked double front bar dismount for 5.8/13.3. Beam was 6/12.9 and vault 4.2/13.133. I’d expect to see her at CWG and worlds.

I don’t remember much about the other Canadian Jesolo competitors Jenna Lalonde, Cassie Lee and Laurie Denommee.

Last edited:
I can see them putting out half the top 6 for CWG and half for Euros so try and save them for worlds.
I think this is a good strategy. Although I’m pretty sure if you asked the Gadirova’s they would both want to do everything. And I’m sure Jess would absolutely want to defend her European floor title.

What are the team sizes for each and what are the time gaps between CWG Euros and Worlds?

Also, I wonder if the Gadirova’s will be showing new floors this year. It’s a tough call - there’s always a risk of the routines being stale versus being well known (and liked) as they clearly are.

The floor question is interesting. They have only just performed those routines to a live audience for the first time at the British. They might want to hold on to them for a home worlds. However Jessica might not want to defend her title with the same routine either. It feels like it’s been a while since we’ve had someone keep a routine for multiple years. These are unusual circumstances though.

CWG gymnastics is 29/7-3/8
Euros starts on the 11/8
Worlds is 29/10-6/11

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob
Are there any ramifications for qualifying to worlds from Euros? I always forget.

Top 13 teams qualify. I thought it was 6 or 8, but top 13 is easily doable, especially without Russia. It’s not essential to send the A Team, but a the same time, I suspect theres no way that the top federations haven’t considered the chance of a Team Gold this year.

I wonder what the FIG plans to do with the UEG in terms of Euros as the qualifier to Worlds.
2023 Europeans in Turkey is for individuals.

Yeah, I would imagine that Euros are more important, but this might be the only shot at the Gadirovas going to CWG. Very difficult choice. Surely they can’t do both?

Neither the WAG England CWG or worlds selection policies appear to be on the BG selection policies page yet, even though the men are. Makes it harder to work out what they’re likely to do and how things might work, which I’m sure we’re all confident is a mere oversight.

The England MAG team is going to be decided no later than 30th May. They usually want to do both at the same time, so perhaps we can assume the women will also be on the same timetable. But that’s about all we have so far.

I think the difficulty is working on what priority is going to be assigned where. It’s really hard to call that, particularly without knowing what the selection plans are for worlds, and to what extent gymnasts will be expected to peak again for that in presumably September given that BG usually wants to pick early. I did think it was noteworthy that they’ve left the door open for gymnasts to do both competitions in summer if it’s considered appropriate tactical build up for worlds. That is, if someone does CWG, we want her for Euros and she’s still in good shape, we’ll take her. Made me wonder if they had anyone specific in mind or it was just an attempt to give themselves as wide a discretion as possible.

Surely you’d have to fly straight from CWG to Euros? If CWG ends on the 3rd. Wouldn’t Euros PT start like, on the 6th or 7th?

At least the travel is easy. Not ideal, but gymnasts could do both meets. Way less brutal than 2010 that had CWG and Worlds back to back, in Dehli and Rotterdam.

How are the CWG teams usually decided? Does BG have all the say, is it left to the respective home countries to decide, some combination?

England find CWGs especially tiring. 3 consecutive days of competition, with gymnasts qualifying for more finals than they would do at worlds or euros. However, that it’s at home should make it far less tiring

Both Gadirovas could easily make TF, AA, VT, BB and FX finals, and might even medal on all 5. I cant believe how exhausted they might be showing up at Euros just a week after that.

Last edited:
Still boggles my mind that UEG doesn’t look at the major sporting calendar and view a large event like Commonwealth Games and attempt to schedule around it.

Pan American Championships normally do this. Pan American Games do not because they are a multiple sport event, like Commonwealth Games.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back