British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Apologies for any errors on my part, but I put together some quick analytics based on the results from the British National Championships. My methodology was to take the top 8 per apparatus in the all-around standings, and then add in any gymnasts that met the minimum D score requirement, plus Becky so you can see where she ranks comparatively speaking. If I remember correctly, the beam routine Becky showed at the English championships has a theoretical D score of 5.4, so she does have a chance to meet the minimum D score requirements. Any gymnast with a 0 in the EF column means that they did not compete in apparatus finals.

Using the results from only this competition, just four gymnasts meet the standard of a minimum of two D scores that satisfy the performance criteria as follows:
  1. Ondine Achampong (V, UB, BB, FX)
  2. Jessica Gadirova (V, BB, FX)
  3. Jennifer Gadirova (BB, FX)
  4. Alice Kinsella (VT, FX)
See the image below for detail by apparatus.

British WAG Analytics

Based on the results of the 2022 English Championships:
  1. Alice Kinsella also qualifies on a 3rd apparatus, balance beam with a D score of 5.6.
  2. Kelly Simm also qualifies on a 2nd apparatus, balance beam with a D score of 5.4.
  3. Jessica Gadirova qualifies on all four apparatus with an uneven bars D score of 5.7.

Last edited:
Thanks for that thorough analysis Concorde. Interesting 🧐

It also looks dubious because GB haven’t been all about the D score in the past. Just last year, they took Amelie to the Olympics with low difficulty on vault and floor, and not colossal numbers on bars and beam either. Not to rehash that whole who should they have taken discussion again, but the fact is that they did pick Amelie, and the rationale for that is obviously that D score is only one part of the whole. So why the change, after an Olympics where the judges communicated very clearly that gymnasts need to think holistically about the level of difficulty it’s sensible to include?

The GB senior squad (I mean who is even in it?) seems to be massively lacking in depth. Is the selectors’ plan to just hope that the Gadirovas are healthy enough to lead a team, and slot in Alice, Ondine and a fifth gymnast (as long as it isn’t Becky) who did well in the trials? The minimum D score seems to be really strange move when only 1 gymnast is actually currently meeting it in all four apparatus.

A couple of years ago, I thought that the future looked bright for GB WAG. Now, if one of the Gadirovas were to go down with an injury, I would be seriously worried. Why isn’t anyone being sent to a World Cup or even Jesolo? Lots of the new seniors are lacking in competition experience due to Covid, and not many gymnasts had an inspiring 2021 or 2022 British.

It probably is, but then circumstances are such that GB wouldn’t have to be particularly lucky for that tactic to come off. With Russia out, they could potentially win the European team title and and a bronze at worlds simply by dint of the Gadirovas staying healthy plus Ondine and Alice having good days. They could also lose both, but the international field isn’t going to be very deep this year. Also do we know whether China have managed to locate any sense yet? If they continue sending injured athletes to major competitions because of internal politics, world team medals might get even easier to come by. It seems like this is a good year to ride your luck.

None of this is to say I think the minimum D score when you have depth issues and lots of competitions in a short period is a good idea. Only that, similar to how the US could get away with a certain amount of fuckery as long as Simone was there to bail them out, the Gadirovas can also be a get out of jail free card. At least for now.

Reactions: L_R
I came to say the same thing. it’s the final score that matters anyway, and we all know that this is more of an execution game than a difficulty game.

The Gadirova twins are great examples of this. That approach is why they made FX finals at the Olympics.

Last edited:
100%. Why don’t they have an E Score minimum average?

Oh yeah, it’s because everyone except Becky and the Gadirovas scores a solid 7E across the board on everything!

Agreed, and in some sense, an E-score minimum might actually be a better expectation.

I mean, lots of gymnasts could probably get up and do harder exercises with tons of errors deductions, and this new rule by the British gymnastics federation is going to encourage that.

BG have finally announced the Senior and Junior WAG squads.

Senior Squad
  • Ondine Achampong, Aylesbury
  • Shannon Archer, South Essex
  • Becky Downie, Amber Valley
  • Ellie Downie, Notts
  • Georgia-Mae Fenton, South Essex
  • Claudia Fragapane, Bristol Hawks
  • Jennifer Gadirova, Aylesbury
  • Jessica Gadirova, Aylesbury
  • Halle Hilton, Pipers Vale
  • Alice Kinsella, Park Wrekin
  • Jea Maracha, Clwb Cymru Caerdydd
  • Mali Morgan, Clwb Cymru Caerdydd
  • Kelly Simm, Dynamo
  • Ruby Stacey, Plymouth Swallows
  • Poppy Stickler, Clwb Cymru Caerdydd
Junior Squad
  • Grace Davies, Robin Hood
  • Madeleine Dodd, Heathrow
  • Ruby Evans, Clwb Cymru Caerdydd
  • Evie Flage-Donovan, Clwb Cymru Caerdydd
  • Ebony Gaddum, Sandbach
  • Abigail Martin, South Devon
  • Tiegan Trafford, Abingdon
  • Ellen Symonds, Norfolk Academy

TWENTY TWENTY TWO and we have a national team consisting of Jennifer, Jessica, Kelly and Shannon.

Very interesting seeing the clubs listed, big shift in power from the years dominated by Liverpool, Heathrow, Notts and The Academy

Last edited:
I really enjoyed her FX at the British Champs, too.
I can’t remember a Scottish gymnast (Archer) being on the NT before for WAG, but I’m probably missing someone.

There’s been a few, but like Shannon Archer, not training in Scotland.

Carol Galashan
Helen Galashan
Rosalie Hutton
Jordan Lipton

Thanks! I don’t remember any of them, but I’ve only really been following (as more than a 4 year fan) since around 2011.

So off topic, but pre CWG chat.
What do we think?
Clearly it will be England in gold medal position with Canada behind.
Is Australia going to be able to contend for a medal? Do Scotland or Wales have any chance at a medal?
Who else will send teams? Surely India, Singapore, Malaysia, South Africa, New Zealand?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back