British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Curious that WAG doesn’t do this too.
WAG heavily relies on the Perfect 10 angle, especially with the fan-base, in addition the majority of NCAA athletes are usually Level 9 or Level 10 gymnasts so they are used to JO rules which are based out of 10.0.

There are very few elite compared to level 10s that enter NCAA. Even at that, those numbers decreased even further as many of these elites chose to retire from elite as they enter college.

So easier routines are the way to go that are easily understood by the fans.

NCAA MAG didn’t have the same fan base or number of programs. There was at one point 200+ MAG NCAA teams in the late 60s and early 70s and rapidly that number decreased substantially due to Title IX, as MAG was one sport that was immediately dropped as a result of attempting to create equality in college sports when it comes to gender.
This is a good read: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1163230

Here is a great read on NCAA MAG decline and near extinction. https://www.thelantern.com/2020/05/...-extinction-but-some-trying-to-keep-it-alive/

MAG was 10.0 for a while after 2006, and then quickly changed over to open ended due to the fact that many of their athletes were still competing for USAG/international elite.

I suspect it’s because the WAG elite system is highly restricted in the US. You have to pass two qualifying competitions to be an elite, and I believe there are certain qualifications that have to be met to even enter. For MAG, any guy who is 18 can compete at the Winter Cup qualifiers.

And under the old WAG regime with the sixty gazillion camps, no college coach is going to be gone from their program at least 1 week 10 times a year. So adopting the FIG code makes so sense to TPTB on the women’s side of college gym. Makes much more sense for MAG.

The open ended code works well for MAG, not so much for WAT. NCAA WAG would be so awful with the open ended code.

The open ended code works well for MAG, not so much for WAT. NCAA WAG would be so awful with the open ended code.
Plus the JO/10.0 sv approach has worked well in NCAA, and difficulty has steadily increased within the last few years. Now a team needs a set of 6 10.0 vaults to be competitive, so now we see a multitude of Yurchenko 1 1/2s, front half pike, etc. Even teams on the bubble of top 36 are striving for this. Illinois State was was ranked I think 43rd last year has 3 Yurchenko 1 1/2s this year.
I would like to see FX change a bit to reward more E passes but floor is more about performance and crowd appeal in NCAA anyway.

Additionally, NCAA guys are just starting their senior elite careers while NCAA gals are generally ending theirs.

you must update this thread title, I steered clear of this for ages and yet out of sheer boredom came in today and found it all very interesting, and absolutely not GB-related! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I would suggest splitting the non british part of the thread into it’s own thread and renaming the British WAG bit as British talk would work.

@Bob @Doug1233 I know that the thread should be about the Brits.
What should the new thread be named for the spin off thread or should they just be deleted.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back