British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Any inside scoop from the last BG camp? Were the twins there?

I feel like Ellie might make a run at Worlds this year. The field is probably going to be the most depleted she’s ever going to get. If she can get the Cheng back and put together a decent AA set I think she could do pretty well. I’d love her to win another VT medal and make another World AA final (although of course if the twins are back to full strength and do not get injured, there’s probably no room for a non-twin AA spot for British WAG this quad).

The twins are in the photo, the two at the very end.
I’d have loved to see a full strength (2017 style) Ellie battle the Gadirova twins for an AA spot in a world final, but sadly I don’t think we’ll see it.

I don’t know about worlds, but with CWG, Euros, worlds selection and worlds in roughly a 14 week period this year, worlds and Euros basically back to back, it’s a lot to ask of the A team to peak 3-4 times in that period (I’m not sure how worlds selection will work, if there will be a specific event for that or when they’re doing it). There’ll probably be more gymnasts than usual getting a big assignment this year.

I hope Ellie has the opportunity to at least put a DTY and a Lopez clean on a podium this year. I feel that she really needs a boost.

Is Ellie enrolled in University?
She could attend the University Games.

June 27-July 3 University Games
July 28- August 2 Commonwealth Games
August 11-14 European Championships
October 29- November 6 Worlds

I would imagine CWG will have a B team if the A team is going to Europeans.
There is a team event at Euro this year so it is not strictly individual.

It’s hard to say, because CWG is considered a fun one and it’s at home this year. There’s also the question of whether BG are going to try and insist on sending the top team to Euros because it’s a worlds qualification event now. There are 13 spots, so even a GB B team would comfortably qualify absent the sort of disaster that makes Simone in Tokyo TFs look positively minor. But you never know if the federation are going to see it that way.

If it comes down to individual preference, I’d guess Alice would like to do CWG as she’s from just outside Birmingham so it’s hometown for her. Don’t think any of the others are. I’m basing this on nothing at all other than location though.

Not sure if Ellie is in uni or not, Universiade is an interesting possibility for the ones who are that age though. I don’t think Fragapane is, and Alice doesn’t mention anything on her social media either. That’s not to say they couldn’t be enrolled in some capacity though. What’s the age limit? Kelly Simm has been before but she’s 27 this year.

What’s the age limit?
It is normally 25 age limit for UG however this year its extended to 26 because they were supposed to take place in 2021 and were postponed to this summer.
So the extension will apply to any of the athletes who were 25 last year and intended to compete but the event was postponed.

Would obviously be OOB. But the feet and ankles look like they are holding up for a big tumble.

So not Kelly then. It may be that none of the big names are eligible.
Amelie Morgan, Phoebe Jakubczyk, and Lucy Stanhope would be eligible. Not sure if they still have aspirations to compete elite this summer. Though technically they could just go and mostly compete their NCAA routines give or take a few CR they would need to add in.

Oh yes I forgot about the NCAA ones. Danusia did it in 2013 before switching, so there is precedent.

Anyone aged 18-25 (26 this year) can compete as long as they are enrolled in a university.
Teams have shrunk from 5 gymnasts down to 3 gymnasts (3 up, 2 count)

Canada sent 3 in 2019 with two from NCAA: Jessica Dowling- Canadian university, Denelle Pedrick- Central Michigan, and Alana Fischer- South East Missouri State

No GBR gymnasts in 2019 so…maybe they won’t go again?

Last edited:
If I hadn’t moved abroad I would LOVE this. Can you imagine if you were a helper in the back gym and you got to see all the training gossip!

I’d love to do this, it would be so interesting and as close as I’m ever going to get to a hometown worlds… it’s just having the time.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back