British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

This has the potential to become one of those horribly contentious grey areas. Kinda like Jordan’s FHS to Back 1/1 on beam. Where it gets credited all year domestically but then hit hard when put it front of FIG judges.

It can also have a knock on effect with the leap CR. Coaches should be mindful to put these sideways leaps right at the end of the routine, after any dance series or mixed series that includes a plain Split or Straddle jump. The last thing you want is to not only lose the tenth in DV, but to also lose CR, CV and/or SB in later connections due to repeating an element.

Last edited:
Coaches should be mindful to put these sideways leaps right at the end of the routine, after any dance series or mixed series that includes a plain Split or Straddle jump. The last thing you want is to not only lose the tenth in DV, but to also lose CR, CV and/or SB in later connections due to repeating an element.
This is a public service announcement directed at GAGE 😉

Last edited:
I think Wong has (or had!) the better DTY. When she actually hits bars I think she can beat Melnikova there too.

For sure she would have scored better than Chiles and McCallum on BB/FX.

You think a hit Wong on UB is .8 cleaner than Melnikova???
I didn’t say 0.8 cleaner! Didn’t Wong at one point have all the inbars and pretty much the same routine as Melnikova?

Ok, maybe not quite. But she was close.

Last edited:
Maybe once Wong had a better DTY but certainly not at Worlds.
Yep. Definitely not talking about her in 2021 Worlds shape.

These vaults are all better than any DTY we have seen from Melnikova:

Obviously a big deterioration in her DTY in the last 2 years

Last edited:
Reactions: L_R
yesss I had the privilege of seeing her big, beautiful DTY in 2018-- it really was a fantastic piece of gymnastics. Considering her DTY deterioration in the past 2 years, I was thinking her potential is lower than Melnikova on vault. Also Angelina landed a Cheng twice this year in competition

Last edited:
Wong’s talent was utterly wasted. Yet her success at worlds will undoubtedly reinforced every piss poor coaching decision made by Fong. I can’t wait to see what spectacularly talent gymnast he manages to keep from achieving her full potential next.

would it be beneficial to move the last part of this thread to a new one? It’s not really British WAG talk anymore? Just a thought not trying to upset anyone.

It’s one of those things where you can’t actually enjoy the gymnast’s success because you know it’s going to vindicate so much more appallingness in the future.

We’ve been tending to put it in here, but if the MAG fans would like a separate thread I’ll try my best to keep things separate. Agree though, not much to see there.

For Hamish, perhaps he has his eye on one of the summer competitions. There has to be at least a reasonable chance they’ll want separate squads for CWG and Euros. MAG Euros doesn’t finish until late August so there’s a really small gap between that and worlds. 2022 is probably going to be an easier year than usual to do NCAA and international elite, in that there are no scheduling clashes this time.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back