British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Interesting subdivision! There are some videos already

GMF floor Georgia Mae Fenton FX QF 2021 WC - YouTube

Becky bars Becky Downie UB QF 2021 WC - YouTube

Becky beam 2021 World Championships Rebecca Downie BB Prelims - YouTube

Ruby vault Ruby Stacey VT QF 2021 WC - YouTube

Ruby is actually slightly ahead of GMF in the AA! But they should both qualify, they’re 8th and 9th as things stand and I don’t think there are enough remaining who can pass them. No EFs for either but that’s not a surprise.

Becky is where things gets interesting. She’s 4th on beam at the moment after 2 pers! And 6th on bars after she staggered on the dismount. Could see her squeeze into both or neither. For bars, the only ones still to come who are dead on to beat her are 2 x Russians but there are several others where it could go either way. And beam is beam. She also kind of looked the most zen I’ve ever seen her in competition.

Becky is in 6th with 2 Russians and Andrade yet to go.

If she’s 9th (typical Becky heartbreak) I can just hear the BG selectors saying “I told you so”.

Surely the same is true for beam. Two Russians and Andrade. 7th won’t hold.

Russian beam continues to make fools of us all! Turns out the correct answer was actually ‘the AA’ lmao. Becky would’ve needed a colossal 23.358 on vault and floor to qualify ahead of GMF.

Right. A 12 on each.

Is Becky 1st Reserve for beam and bars (but subject to withdrawals from USA and RUS 2pering?)

Less than 12, even. That’s an FTY and potentially a sub 10 on floor. One of your single salto creations!

She’ll be first reserve on beam but only second on bars, subject to 2 pers.

She’ll be first reserve on beam but only second on bars, subject to 2 pers
I hope she keeps ticking over in the back gym. Is there a scenario where only 1 injury could get her into both finals?

That’s an FTY and potentially a sub 10 on floor.
I wonder how comfortable she would be vaulting onto hard without much prep.

I would hope that she could throw a Y Layout with 0.8 in steps back. Maybe 3.8 D + 8.0 ish E = 11.8

So an 11.559 needed on floor.

Front Full
Back Layout
Front Layout
Switch Leap to Switch Half
Double Turn
Split Jump 1/1
Single Y turn

CAB/BCBCB = 1.8 + 1.5 = 3.3

You’d think she could do this on the fly.

She would need an 8.3 E Score.

Last edited:
Beam has 9 participants so they won’t use first reserve if one has to drop out

In terms of giving us the ability to continue rehashing this argument for the next decade, which let’s be honest is a board priority, Becky having done routines that were clearly better than Amelie Morgan’s in Tokyo TFs whilst not making an EF is pretty much the optimum outcome. I don’t actually think what someone does in October necessarily tells us anything about the legitimacy of a selection decision several months earlier, but I shan’t be letting that get in the way.

To be honest, she looked better before Tokyo than she did here.

She got a 14 here with a (stupidly) watered down, and therefore, badly constructed routine.

At trials she had a 14.4 with a big error and a 13.8 with a fall on the dismount.

And yes you’re totally right about her scores being better than Amelie in TF. Remember though that Amelie gave important back up in case of injury. But, as I am sure you would counter, a last minute injury to ANY of those 4 would have meant absolutely no shot at a medal anyway. So 5th or 8th, who the fuxk cares.

I’m not sure why they added the Shap-Pak. Just do Toe on and Stalder. 0.3 loss in D and I’m sure more than made up for in E.

These last minute routine changes made the morning of prelims are never a good idea.

I know she did it to feel more comfortable. But I’m sure doing a Toe and a Stalder would have been equally as fine.

Sometimes I just want to scream THINK!!!

Last edited:
Same. They could have both challenged for bronze in the AA and medals on floor.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back