British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

They would have been eligible. Accreditation can be switched in the same way that last minute accreditation can be obtained to bring in an alternate
No. Once they were accredited as coaches they were unable to change credentials.

You can’t switch, but you can have your accreditation nulled and then reissued. So basically yes, you can switch. There was no restriction on this in Tokyo.

Is the World Championships later this year on your radar?

Jennifer:
Before the Olympics it was a goal but after the Olympics, we think it might not happen just because of how soon it is. We want to slowly build back up and not rush because we did have a few aches and pains during the Olympics. We don’t want to rush for Worlds and make them worse so we’re just putting that to the side and recovering to be better.

from the interview with insidegymnastics. com

Last edited:
That sounds like they’ve 100% turned it down.

I can see Frags and Becky making it, if they’re healthy.

Is GMF still training hard? Odine?

Those 4 wouldn’t actually be a bad team for an individual worlds. Might make a few finals.

Last edited:
GMF posted that she had Worlds trials today, I haven’t seen anything from anyone else. Wonder who else trialed or if we will ever get the trial results. Although I know the latter is wishful thinking!

Frags won floor at Koper with 12.9 (5.0, 7.9) but she wasn’t at full difficulty, her last pass was a layout full.

I had 8.0 E (0.1 Artistry).

I had a 3 on the squat in the double Arabian and a 3 for body shape on the split full. Everything else was just tenths here and there.

GMF posted that she had Worlds trials today, I haven’t seen anything from anyone else. Wonder who else trialed or if we will ever get the trial results. Although I know the latter is wishful thinking!
Insane that they’ve learnt nothing from the whole Olympic Trials debacle if they don’t release the scores.

Apparently Frags had a 4.1 D on beam in prelims.

What in the hell did she do!?

Last edited:
Ruby Stacey has posted a photo with GMF that she was at Worlds trials as well; she tagged Taeja and Becky Downie too. I’m assuming that the world cup will count as a trial for Frags, but that would still only be 5 gymnasts trialing for Worlds? Where is everyone else? Ellie? Kelly Simm? Ondine? Annie Young? Halle Hilton? Jess Daykin?

The Olympic trials debacle where the selected the team that went onto win Olympic bronze?

Doubtless that’s the angle they and the apologists are going to be taking.

I wonder if this was a strategic calculation, they figure nobody will make that much fuss over transparency now, or if it’s still that the organisation itself doesn’t realise what a bad look and how much potential for trouble this kind of secrecy has.

Last edited:
Well, colour me shocked that they released trial results unprompted! But the results 😬 and I’ll reiterate my earlier point of where tf is everyone else? Are Kelly and Ondine hoping that their scores from the Olympic trials/that World Cup will help get them on the team? Tbf, looking at these results I don’t think that’s a bad bet.

So far the Worlds team looks like it’ll be GMF and Frags. For a team that just won an Olympic bronze, the depth outside of the team looks really poor.

It wasn’t exactly unprompted as I saw at least one person ask for them on twitter. They didn’t wait for a clamour though so that’s an improvement!

Slim pickings indeed and yes Becky’s scores are worrisome. Given the tiny field they could still legitimately send her for that beam score though (plus bar scores from the other competitions).

Maybe GMF AA, Becky UB/BB, Fragapane (FX) and Ondine AA for experience?

Last edited:
GMF looks like a lock for this team. The depth in the national team is pretty shockingly low, though. Just 4 gymnasts at trials, and just two doing AA?
Where are the new(or newish) seniors? Annie Young, Alia Leat etc looked pretty promising at junior Euros in 2018. Ondine?
Becky’s scores here not really doing her any favours, but with such a slim pool to choose from she’ll probably make it and then hit the routine of her life.

Fragapane only got a 12.900 in Koper so she will have to add her full difficult back to be a legit World team contender IMO.
I know it was her first floor routine in a few years but she will need more to be in the hunt to make finals there.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back