British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Becky has said she wants to go for worlds
She is 100% on that team. There is just no way they cannot. For an individual worlds. With no TF.

Like - BG have literally no excuses left.

I imagine Nina is in the Worlds running too?

Last edited:
Both Gadirovas, GMF and Becky would be a great team. It’s a shame this doesn’t have a TF because with GMF filling in the Gadirova bar hole, and with GMF’s new DTY covering Becky, this would be a really great team.

Both Gadirova’s could shoot for vault and floor finals. With full in dismounts - also could slip into the beam final.

Becky should easily make bar final if she hits. GMF could also sneak.

I worry that Odine doesn’t have the difficulty to make beam final. Unless she has spent this Olympic time working on upgrades.

Last edited:
She is 100% on that team. There is just no way they cannot. For an individual worlds. With no TF.

Like - BG have literally no excuses left.
I would say the same but after this year such certainty scares me! 🤫

Last edited:
So this is the selection policy:
https://www.british-gymnastics.org/...3-worlds-2021-selection-policy-wag-final/file

Note the selection events:
  • European Championships selection trial – March 2020
  • Olympic Control events in 2021
  • World Cups in 2021
  • European Championships April 2021
  • Tokyo Olympic Games July-Aug 2021
  • Control event 2nd-5th Sept 2021
That must give them a fairly small pool to choose from… Jess, Jenn, Alice, Amelie (likely not in the running because NCAA), Phoebe (Same). Kelly Simm, Ondine and Frags I think did some world cups, and I’m not sure who else was at the control competitions/trials. Becky, Ellie and GMF were definitely at the Olympic trial ones.

Last edited:
They just don’t have a very big pool, period. They barely had more than a handful of gymnasts do the various trials for Tokyo.

Yeah the talent really drops off marketedly after Amelie. You might put GMF in that bucket but given her consistency I’m always wary of including her.

You’d assume the 2-5 Sep control event will be the big deciding meet?

I wonder if BG has learnt their lesson and will be as transparent as they were for Olympic Trials.

Last edited:
Ondine moved clubs over the summer, she left Sapphire and now trains at the Gadirova’s club. Be interesting to see how she does.

Last edited:
I think that’s a good move. Sapphire have had talented juniors for years and they always struggle at seniors. Gabby Jupp for instance

It’s not just the Gadirovi that like taking all the photos then 🙂

It’s getting ahead of ourselves because we have worlds first…but today I noticed for the the first time how close CWG (July 28th-Aug 8th) and Euros (Aug 11th-21st) are. I wonder if GB will do two different teams like they did in 2010 for CWG/worlds? Especially given all the emphasis in the worlds selection document about getting gymnasts experience for Paris. CWG gymnastics ends on Aug 2nd and the flights aren’t as big a deal as in 2010 (Birmingham-Munich vs Dehli-Rotterdam) so gymnasts could plausibly do both. However CWG being at home and the fact that Euros is a qualifier to worlds (we need a thread about that mess at some point) will also be considerations, they might mix A and B teamers up. Someone like Alice might prefer CWG, especially if travel restrictions still abound and would prevent family/friends going to Germany.

ETA something about worlds
That’s a lot of camps at Lilleshall post-selection. I guess that’s about isolation before worlds and it’s really one camp with some days off/personal coaching only days?

Last edited:
Some of the camps are different age groups - espoir, junior and senior. But I am sure they are trying to catch up with where the gymnasts are.

If there are only three days between competitions they’ll surely have to? Even in 2010, there was an eight day gap between the end of CWG and the start of worlds. A week before competitions is at least logistically possible even if not ideal. Three days means you barely make podium training.

2010 was kind of different due to the travel required with CWGs being in Delhi. Birmingham to Munich is less of an issue. But CWGs is an intensive competition with no rest days and gymnasts doing more EFs than they’d qual for at european level.

What new seniors do GB have? I feel like we don’t know any of them (or the current juniors).
I feel like Ruby Stacy, Halle Hilton, Annie Young are the ones who were obviously successful as juniors, but oc course a lot can happen in 18 months.

They are having WAG nationals in November/December, I think. Hopefully it’s for all of espoir, junior and senior, and hopefully we get some video!

When are they selecting the worlds team. Does anyone know? I kind of wish they would go back to worlds every 4 years like they used to.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back