British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’m not sure what Jennifer really contributes to the team currently
She only did FX at Worlds, right? 13.433 team finals floor.
GMF did vault in TQ IIRC.

If so then Evans might be worth trying out at Euros in her spot.

I would take Becky to do UB and BB and go with Evans on VT/FX.
GMF, Ondine, and Alice are all capable of AA. If Jess is ready she could go in place of one of them.

Also, my random thought would be to rest all of the Worlds team at Euros, the team is already qualified to Paris and they would just need to finish in he top 13 to qualify a full team to Worlds.
Poppy Stickler, Becky Downie, Ruby Evans, Ruby Stacey, +1 are strong enough B team to get experience at Euros and qualify a full team to Antwerp. It also gives the A team some well earned rest.

They don’t actually need to qualify for Antwerp. Everyone who was in the team final last year is already qualified.

I don’t see British Gymnastics sending a B team to Euros. It’s not something many countries do apart from the US at Pan Ams, and if there is a chance of a gold medal they aren’t going to pass that up. I would like to see that team at the DTB Pokal or something, but GB women don’t go there.

Yeah they can afford to take her. I thought they still needed to qualify for worlds through top 13 at Euros this year, but if they don’t that makes the vague possibility that they have to rely on the 5th ranked routine on an event even less relevant. And bars is still the team’s weakest event. Assuming Kinsella was just having a bad day rather than sitting out vault because she was injured, they have her and GMF which is fine, but Ondine’s routine the other day still doesn’t look like it’s one you want to bank on over multiple rounds of competition.

As usual though where a Downie is concerned, there’s the wider context too. I’m never sure who’s best in compliance with whatever selection procedures they come up with either.

That FX was excellent! The tumbling was excellent! I would not give it a perfect 10, but I would give it an 8.5 or 8.75.

José M.

Yes, and even if she hadn’t fallen you wouldn’t select her just for beam anyway. So in the absence of any floor routine so far this year there’s no reason to pick her, but who knows what they’re doing at Lilleshall.

In any case I think a hit bars routine from Becky adds more to the team score than Jen’s floor if that was the choice. I honestly think if everyone’s fit Jen will struggle to be selected for teams unless she can get her DTY back in addition to floor and a usable beam routine.

Her vault was good, but her landing was so-so. She needs to improve her landing.

José M.

They don’t actually need to qualify for Antwerp. Everyone who was in the team final last year is already qualified.
Can you point to the procedures where it says that all 8 teams in both team finals qualify for the following Worlds?
I don’t recall seeing that. If so that is very interesting because technically you could completely skip the continentals then and save your athletes.
Are the continental quotas adjusted based on Team Finals qualifier?

So does that mean there are now only 2 continental quota spots for the Americas to Worlds in Belgium?
Or are there 5 spots still and if USA, BRA, CAN place in top 5 they were already going they just confirm their spot having been auto-qualified?

I am confused how that works.

I don’t see British Gymnastics sending a B team to Euros. It’s not something many countries do apart from the US at Pan Ams, and if there is a chance of a gold medal they aren’t going to pass that up. I would like to see that team at the DTB Pokal or something, but GB women don’t go there.
With Europeans really not meaning much these days and having already qualified to Paris and according to your Antwerp, why not use the competition to increase team depth? Especially for Stickler, Evans, and Stacey who are all legit contenders for Paris. Great Britain can win team medals at both Worlds and Olympics if they can bring a healthy team that can hit. But we know the team has been far from injury free. It felt like Kinsella was competing all around every other weekend last year. 3 of them ended up doing Euros, CWG, and Worlds. That is a lot to ask of an elite athlete in one season.

That is a myth that USA sends a B team to Pan Am Games. Other than 1991, 2011 and 2015, USA has always sent an A team to Pan Am Games as much as possible. Those three editions of Pan Am Games were B teams due to the close proximity of Worlds.
We likely will see a B team at PAG this year due to Worlds and PAG being three weeks within each other.

Last edited:

Section 2, Special Regulations for Artistic Gymnastics, Article 5.1.1 is the qualification process for Worlds.

(For Worlds the year before the Olympics)
The 8 highest men’s and women’s NFs based on the Team ranking results of the qualifications from the World Championships organized 2 years prior to the OG will automatically qualify.

I think these places just come off the continental quotas, e.g for WAG at Euros the top 10 (13 minus 3 already qualified) excluding GB, Italy and France will qualify, and both Asian and Pan Am Champs will only have two spots available.

Last edited:
Is it going to be considered an official team competition this year, with medals and the like? I know the continentals have to have a way for teams to compete the format and be ranked against each other for selection purposes, but are they trying to keep the even numbered years as the real team champions or is it just a full one every year? I aasume the team rankings this time will have to come from prelims not a formal TF.

I’m sure it changed so that the euros in the year of an Olympics is AA and EF for seniors, but full for juniors? So the 2 middle euros have the team medal

Last edited:
That might be a factor in GB team selection choices too then. If it were an opportunity to finally call themselves European champions, with Russia presumably still out and the D’Amato situation, I can see how they’d want to prioritise what has to be the best chance they’re getting in a while. If not though, it would make more sense to think about other factors like individual medals and competitive experience.

I will always cheer very fondly for GB, but I’m not sure I can stomach that team as European champions. They are just so…underwhelming

Euros teams???

I thought Shannon Archer retired after the Commonwealth Games.

Interesting but she could do vault and floor and Becky bars and beam, the other do AA

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back