British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Could they give Kinsella a rest and not have her do bars…but then whoever sits bars will sit beam too right?
Not necessarily. It’s possible Becky will do only one event. She did beam at the Welsh Open and got 12.85, so they could use her, but there may not be any reason to. GMF and Ondine both beat her there, Alice didn’t but she fell, and Jess didn’t do it at all.

I would think they’ll want Alice to do the AA, assuming her results last week were because of a really bad day rather than anything more serious. Especially if Jess can’t. Those were the top two Europeans at worlds and Asia D’Amato is a question mark, so it’s a great opportunity.

Last edited:
I’m surprised that blond girl with the DLO didn’t make it. She’s very good.

I guess Alice looks better in training than those scores might suggest.

She had multiple falls at the Welsh Open apparently, so it may just have been one of those days. Looked fine for February at the English championships.

I think Ruby probably needed Jess not to go. Shame for her though.

I assume Rubyis the reserve. It was always going to be a hard team to break into, unless the gymnast has very good UB as well I guess.

Some confusion here between the two Rubys (Evans and Stacey)?

Ruby Evans is the one with the DTY and floor who looked very good at Cottbus. She did fall on beam at Welsh Championships but the vault and floor scores looked OK.

The big question mark is how fit Jessica is. You’d assume the plan is for her to do at least VT and FX.

Assume that Alice, Ondine and GMF compete AA.

VT: (GMF) Alice Jessica Ondine
UB: (Ondine) Alice GMF Rebecca
BB: (Rebecca) Alice GMF Ondine
FX: (GMF) Ondine Alice Jessica

It’s really hard to call with having seen so little of Jess this year. One fall on her worst event tells us basically sod all. If she’s in a position where she could medal on floor, I can see why they’d want to take her. She’s the star of the team and I’m sure would like to go for a threepeat too. She could also be at quite a bit less than full steam and still be worth considering as an AA threat. In either of those circumstances I could see why they’d prioritise her over a brand new senior whose strengths are in areas where the team least need it.

What I really don’t want to happen is them sending her injured or underpar, to do routines the team could manage without.

I’d have liked to see the scores from the rest of the trials.
People on Twitter are pointing out that the younger gymnasts are likely to be entering exam seasons, so may not be able to miss study time for trials and prep camps etc.

Quick update from yesterday

Junior WAG:

Abigail Martin 49.550
Ffion Burgum 49.200
Ellie Lewis 48.600

I believe there were some bonuses involved in those scores.

Rest of the junior worlds team - Ema Grace Kandalova placed 7th with 47.750, Jemima Taylor scored a zero for a very scary looking vault which eliminated her from contention.

14.25 for Becky Downie on bars. 13.7 for Ondine Achampong, 13.5 for Jessica Gadirova. Jess didn’t vault and apparently isn’t doing floor either.

6.7 D, 8.4 E

5.9 D, 8.35 E

Just a layout dismount for Jess Gadirova on beam.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back