Ask an Expert Judge, (aka the misc. technical questions thread)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I think enough people can differentiate between 1/2-on and 1/4-on. They are going to start training judges to crack down more on incomplete Yurchenko 1/2 entries, the “Tsuk family” vaults shouldn’t be different. It should be even more important for Tsuk vaults, because the amount of total rotation is different between a Tsuk and Kas. With the short Yurchenko 1/2 entries, it’s still the same amount of total rotation in the vault.

Kasamatsus are typically hideous and crooked. I hate them. Tsuks are superior, even if they’re usually more piked down for backward landings.

But 1/2 vs 1/4 quarter entry isnt the distinction. That confusion is related to the history of the old vaulting table. It literally just amounts to the difference between a cartwheel that lands facing forward vs one that lands facing backward - apply this concept to vault with a twist that follows the “cartwheel landing”. That’s all. (Unless u wanna be really pedantic and claim that a kasamatsu includes a pre-defined full twist which leads to overly confusing language like calling a double twisting vault with this entry a “kas full” … i digress).

Neither is inherently performed any particular way (crooked, piked down) beyond that. Plenty of MAG elites and even Level 10s for that matter do kasamatus worthy of a 9.5+ e score. Though I concede some men going for something super hard like a 2.5 or triple twist are done so crooked you can mistake em for a front handspring vault.

I think some people on this board actually content a kas should be classed as a forward salto vault for that reason. It’ll really make your head spin thinking about it too long. 😵‍💫

But 1/2 vs 1/4 quarter entry isnt the distinction
Kas by definition should be seen as a 1/4-on, pushing off from the table sideways. Tsuk by definition should be seen as 1/2-on, pushing off from the table backwards.

Tsuk deserves a higher start value, because the entry is harder and the total rotation is more than a Kas. Tsuk vaults performed as a 1/4-on during first contact, with 1/4 more twist to backwards while blocking, should be deducted. It’s supposed to be a 1/2 turn directly onto the board.

After doing a 1/2-on, it’s possible for a Tsuk to rotate in either direction. Twist direction is irrelevant to whether it’s a Tsuk or not.

Disagree with almost everything here other than “the total rotation is more than a Kas” which is true. I’m apprehensive to enter this debate for the umpteenth time, so if anyone else wants to tap in feel free!! But I’ll leave some comments on the table cuz I’m a stubborn SOB:
  1. Both Tsukahara and Kasamatsu vaults were invented by men competing on the lengthwise vault, and as such a 1/2 turn entry was not even possible as the distinguishing attribute. Both were entred with a quarter turn. Tsukahara originated with just a salto, while Kasamatsu introduced the novel twisting technique (though I am trying to determine
  2. I suppose it could have been the case that, despite the original history, once these vaults were adapted into WAG (well, much later I guess because of course for the initial 20+ years, only a 1/2 turn entry was possible until the 2001 vaulting table came around) this turn entry became the distinguishing factor… but on the contrary, women’s gymnastics as a whole has not really chosen to acknowledge the distinction at all, calling everything a Tsukahara. The code defines it as “1/4 - 1/2 turn”.

Here you can see Jade Carey performing vault #3.34 defined in the code as “Tsukahara stretched with 2/1 twist (720°) off (Zamolodchikova)” even though she is doing exemplary ‘Kasamatsu’ technique.

(Side note: The men’s code reference both Tsuk and Kasamatsu in their skill definitions but, under their provision that Tsuk/Kas/yurchenko vaults have identical DV defined by their post-flight salto, doesn’t make any effort to distinguish their illustrations.)
  1. Essentially, after the invention of the table, every vault entry in this group veered toward a 1/4 turn entry away from the 1/2 turn – which makes total sense. It was interesting to watch Chuso adapt to this style – the only gymnast I could think of affected by this change, since it was less consequential for men’s vault. Here she is in 2000 and 2008 performing the Kasamatsu twisting technique in each instance even though she was forced to turn more on the old vault.
I’m not sure where you would even find an extant Tsukahara by your definition.

Kas by definition should be seen as a 1/4-on, pushing off from the table sideways. Tsuk by definition should be seen as 1/2-on, pushing off from the table backwards.
This is simply not historically correct, as @navyblue said. The distinction really is the salto direction.
  • Tsuks have back saltos.
  • Kasamatus have side saltos or even front saltos, depending on the technique.

Tsuk vaults performed as a 1/4-on during first contact, with 1/4 more twist to backwards while blocking, should be deducted. It’s supposed to be a 1/2 turn directly onto the board.
Twist direction is irrelevant to whether it’s a Tsuk or not.
Both of these are simply not true. The COP has listed a preflight of 1/4-1/2 turn for a long time. If you do a left sidespring and twist right, you do a Tsuk, no getting around it. If you do a left sidespring entry and twist left, a Kasamatsu is more effective for you. But some people, in this situation, use a Tsuk technique and it leads to inefficient, even wonky-looking vaults that often have other technical issues.
After doing a 1/2-on, it’s possible for a Tsuk to rotate in either direction.
Yes, and that was the case for women until 2001. But since then, nobody has done a half twist on. And it’s not going to happen because the table naturally lends itself to quarter on — which also leads to more block because of the role each arm can take.

Chusovitina is one of those people. She learned to think about the vault as a “roundoff over the horse” and after the horse was replaced with the table, she never fully adopted the Kasamatsu technique, so she does a kind of Tsukamatsu if you will. And this is why she has never had a reliable, hard side-entry vault and resorts back to the easier 2nd vault even when she does the Rudi.

Tsuk deserves a higher start value, because the entry is harder and the total rotation is more than a Kas.
I could see an argument that a Tsuk double full should be worth more than the “equivalent” Kasamatsu vault due to the additional half twist needed. Maybe 0.2 more. Gervasio Deferr is the only person to ever do a true Tsuk 2.5, and it’s because it was a little harder. Nobody has ever done a triple or a 3.5.

Last edited:
Both Tsukahara and Kasamatsu vaults were invented by men competing on the lengthwise vault, and as such a 1/2 turn entry was not even possible as the distinguishing attribute. Both were entred with a quarter turn.

I suppose it could have been the case that once these vaults were adapted into WAG this turn entry became the distinguishing factor
Direct 1/2-on was possible on the lengthwise horse, just far more difficult and not given more credit for handsprings (whereas Yurchenko 1/2-on’s were rated higher, in whichever code that started), so it’s understandable why men performed Tsuk as direct 1/4-on, with another 1/4 while blocking, instead of a true 1/2-on like most women were doing.

Either way it’s still 1/2 turn for the Tsuk and 1/4 for the Kas. The first Tsuk vault had no extra turn in the air after the 1/2 block, whereas the first Kas vault happened to add 3/4 turn in the air after the 1/4 block. When people did add twists to the Tsuk entry, both twist directions were used, not one in particular: Hiroshi Kajiyama in 1976 competed Tsuk 1/1, twisting same direction in entry and the air. Also note the Kas entry was competed by some people with a flight phase of just 1/4 turn - 1979 Euros - we shouldn’t be referring to “Kas” as an inherent full twisting vault (particularly since it doesn’t actually have a full turn in the air), rather a type of entry.

1/4-on was possible for WAG with the sideways horse, what Zamo and Chuso did in 2000 should be classified as Kas, they don’t get backwards on the horse, the block is sideways. In 2004 on the new table Zamo got more backwards on the entry than she did in 2000 with the horse!
The distinction really is the salto direction.
  • Tsuks have back saltos.
  • Kasamatus have side saltos or even front saltos, depending on the technique.
That’s what I said: Sideways off the table vs Backwards. Those directions are a result of how much turn happened before flight phase. 1/4 turn inherently means sideways, whereas pushing off backwards after jumping forwards at the table inherently means there was 1/2 turn happening.

With a Kas it’s impossible to do a direct 1/2-on entry, that would be a Tsuk. It’s possible to do less than 1/2 directly onto the vault for a Tsuk, but there’s still 1/2 happening before flight phase. That’s why these vaults should be defined as 1/4-on and 1/2-on.

I don’t expect many people to do a direct 1/2-on Tsuk if the code is changed, but the code should reward the difference. People who don’t do a true 1/2 onto the table for a Tsuk would already be benefitting from the higher start value, so they would be fine eating a deduction for imperfect block…or they would learn to do a complete 1/2-on, and that would be great to see.
If you do a left sidespring entry and twist left, a Kasamatsu is more effective for you.
It’s “more effective” because Kas family is rated the same as Tsuk, despite the Tsuk being more difficult, hence why nobody bothers doing a same-direction Tsuk anymore. If a 1/2-on + full twist off was rated higher than Kas, then some people who struggle with doing more twist in flight phase could compete a Tsuk 1/1, instead of only doing a Kas version of that vault or bad attempt at a Kas with more rotation.

My entries and natural twisting direction in the air are both counterclockwise (left). I can do either a Kas or Tsuk if I choose to, the difference is where the twist is happening, and how much is happening, not which direction:

When I jump with a 1/4 left twist onto the table and continue twisting another 1/4 to the left while blocking, I’m facing backwards coming off the table. A Tsuk. Any additional twist I do in the air is also going to be to the left, unless I’m screwing around in the pit and purposefully trying to reverse direction (won’t be able to rotate nearly as much that way).

If I jump onto the table with a 1/4 left twist and don’t continue twisting immediately, I’m vaulting sideways off the table, a Kas. My next 1/4 twist to the left in the air on this Kas has me facing forwards rather than backwards. It’s the same twist direction as my Tsuk, but because the twist is now happening in a different plane, the body faces a different direction.
If you do a left sidespring and twist right, you do a Tsuk, no getting around it.
Not accurate. It’s possible do a left 1/4-on, stay in sideways position coming off the table, then twist 1/4 to the right (creating a backwards landing rather than forward). That vault should not be classified as a Tsuk just because it reverses direction. It’s a Kas, because it came sideways off the table, and it has a totally different mechanic than a Tsuk entry into a fully backwards salto, or a Tsuk with 1/2 air turn to land forwards.

Kas entry also can be cheated and should be deducted: - Gabriel Burtanete initiates a counterclockwise turn onto the table, but it’s less than 1/4, so when flipping in the air it results in coming up “past sideways” already on the other side and not needing to do a full 1/4 + 1/4 turn to reach the forwards position. After Classic you were talking about Asher Hong’s Double Kas vault possibly being downgraded; same thing there. It’s also possible to reverse twist direction during a Kas entry to achieve the cheat. 1/8 left turn onto the board followed by immediate 1/8 right turn while pushing off = forwards.

I’m sorry, but you are outright wrong on your core point about Tsuks and half twists onto the table being the defining feature.
  1. The first Tsuk was done with a quarter turn on and quarter off to back salto, NOT a “1/2 block” as you claimed. Definitive Tsukahara, by the legend himself:

1. It’s simply false to say “1/2 turn for the Tsuk”. Tsuk’s CAN and usually DO have quarter turns as you yourself acknowledge elsewhere. For men — since the beginning. For women, since 2001, and even sometimes before that.
  2. The vault from 1979 Euros is NOT a Kasamatsu. It’s a simpler vault, long listed in the Code of Points for men. The vault named after Kasamatsu has an extra half twist.
  3. The salto direction is NOT ONLY a function of the amount of preflight turn because you can do 1/4 turn into a Tsuk. (Converse issue here…)
  4. You didn’t understand my point about “effective”. Sean Golden at one point changed the side of his sidespring entry in order to do Kasamatsus instead of Tsuks. That’s not a common thing for guys to do, but that’s what I was getting at.
  5. Gervasio Deferr is an example of a guy who did a true Tsuk 2.5 NOT a Kasamatsu even with the quarter turn block. His vault has half twist more than other guys doing the “equivalent” (which is a silly use of the word by the MTC) Kas vault (“Kasamatsu 1.5”). Totally deserves a couple extra tenths in D-score.

1. You either wrote up the description wrong or you are misunderstanding your own twist directions in your write-up. If you come off the table and do another 1/4 turn left, whether you do it right away or delay it, you are still going to face the same direction. That’s common sense.
Agreed that these 1/8 turn things should be deducted. Ew. LOL

Anyone else notice the judges came up with a 6.7 D score for Simone, down from her 6.8 at nationals? What the hell is there to downgrade, her switch full ? (And if so… why?) Her Gogean is so Gogean it practically deserves to be another Biles 3 on floor. Her double wolf turn is overrotated and if it were under I suppose she’d actually be down to 6.6.

H C+H D G D D F +
4.4 + 0.2 cv = 4.6
+2.2
6.8 🤨

Also Shilese receiving a 5.7 D on floor?

E H D+A*? C+D E C C
3.5 + 0.1 cv =3.6
+2.2

I would credit her double L but not the subsequent (underrotated) double turn hence no CV. If her double L got downgraded, she has to count a B, so isnt that 5.6? Her hop full at horizontal looks exemplary to me, but I suppose that downgrade would bring us to 5.7…

Last edited:
For Shilese my guess is they called it a double L plus 1 3/4 of a turn (no CV). The precision was off on the (otherwise lovely) turns watching in real time.

For Simone, uh… need to think on that one more

Last edited:
Yeah I’m calling that a Double Turn to 1.5 turn, so D+A, no CV, but that gives me a 5.8, so trying to figure out why she got 5.7.

For Biles, the Gogean was most likely downgraded. You can see the underrotation much more clearly from this angle:

Her hop full at horizontal looks exemplary to me, but I suppose that downgrade would bring us to 5.7…
For Jones, it looks like the leg is not held above horizontal for the majority of the turn, thus the downgrade to Element 1.212, hop with 1/2 turn, free leg extended above horizontal throughout.

For Jones, it looks like the leg is not held above horizontal for the majority of the turn, thus the downgrade to Element 1.212, hop with 1/2 turn, free leg extended above horizontal throughout.
Huh. You’re probably right it was downgraded, but I would stand by that being flat out wrong. Just watched this in slow-mo a bunch more times and it really is exemplary. Even by the time her foot lands her other leg is still above horizontal.
This is one of those weird obsessively deducted elements though and should probably just be ditched. Jones is kind of on the cusp where she can’t afford losing 2 tenths of D score. Perhaps a Popa or split full should be subbed in.

Sad about Biles’ Gogean but I admit that must be it! You know, I wonder if this skill (the Gogean) has still not been completed yet at all. Certainly no one at this Championships deserves credit when you really take a microscope to it. 🤔

ETA: I decided to take a look at the other Gogean I remember seeing and it looks like Gadirova’s got axed as well. If I did the math correctly her intended 6.3 was only rewarded 6.2 and it’s really the only downgrade-y issue.

SIDE NOTE: who decided the Moors only gets a single extra tenth above the Silivas/Chuso? That’s…odd.

Last edited:
The first Tsuk was done with a quarter turn on and quarter off to back salto, NOT a “1/2 block” as you claimed.
“1/2 block” is referencing the total turn of 1/4 + 1/4 that’s happening before flight phase (“entry phase” / “blocking phase”). Tsuk vault always has more than 1/4 turn happening during the entry, it never stops at 1/4-on to the table, it keeps twisting while the hands are in contact with the table. That’s how it comes off the table backwards and why it should be defined as a 1/2 entry vault.

Since it’s possible to do 1/2 directly onto the board, and was in fact performed this way by hundreds of women, that is how Tsuks should be judged as their ideal form. Doing a portion of the turn on the table should be a deduction and nobody should be mad about it, since Tsuks would be given increased start value.
The vault from 1979 Euros is NOT a Kasamatsu. It’s a simpler vault, long listed in the Code of Points for men. The vault named after Kasamatsu has an extra half twist.
Handspring 1/4 entry followed by 1/4 in the air is a Kas-family vault. Doesn’t matter that it’s 1/2 less turn in the air, vault families are defined by their entries. You just said it yourself: what we currently refer to as a Kasamatsu has the same entry. Kas vaults with more rotation than how he originated it are still called Kas (same for Tsuks and Yurchenkos), it’s no different.
You either wrote up the description wrong or you are misunderstanding your own twist directions in your write-up. If you come off the table and do another 1/4 turn left, whether you do it right away or delay it, you are still going to face the same direction.
The twist timing doesn’t matter once you’re in the air, but when you jump sideways onto the table, the body is initially in a different plane. If you keep twisting past 1/4 on the entry, before the legs get past vertical, you turn backwards (Tsuk). When you stay at 1/4 coming off the table and then continue twisting you turn forwards (Kas).

The difference is understandable by looking at Connor McCool’s unusual roundoffs we were talking about. Tsuk entry vault is like a normal roundoff, and Kas entry is like his roundoff. Connor initiates a right roundoff, pauses at the 1/4 turn mark, and then finishes twisting as the body has gone past vertical. This causes the body direction to change from a normal roundoff, despite twisting the same direction and doing the same amount of twist. Some people mistaked it as a roundoff 1/2, similar to how Tsuk and Kas are being misunderstood.

Sad about Biles’ Gogean but I admit that must be it! You know, I wonder if this skill (the Gogean) has still not been completed yet at all. Certainly no one at this Championships deserves credit when you really take a microscope to it. 🤔
Daiane dos Santos had some that were all the way around, and I seem to remember seeing one other person get it around (can’t remember who). Perfect rotation won’t be needed for credit but most people struggle to get it within 1/8 turn of perfect, on close inspection. I think Simone would usually be fine if she got more speed beforehand, there’s no reason for her to be doing the switch leap to start the series.

Steingruber had a textbook Gogean

Fragapane also got hers around fully to the point where she submitted a double in Rio.

That quad was insufferable for the amount of hideous leaps attempted for d-score. The Pandora’s Box Ferrari opened 😭

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back