Ask an Expert Judge, (aka the misc. technical questions thread)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I assume this is Ludmilla Roschina and not Evgenia Roschina.

Natalia Bobrova competed handspring punch front in the early 90s

love and accept this thread is now incredible front tumbling on beam!

Someone did Onodi + front tuck but I also forget who
A level 10 from Brandy Johnson’s, or you’re referring to someone else who competed it?

I enjoy the headspring punch front Dzyundzyak did even if it was kinda messy

I remember a clip of someone from a former Soviet Republic doing a RO back layout punch front walkover. I wanna say it was mid 90s and maybe at Universiade? She stalled out in handstand I think, but I thought it was a cool combo.

Oh that was Yevgenia Kuznetsova at the 1994 Goodwill Games. It was weird, she wasn’t actually on the team, they were just showing her off, I think.

Yes, it was in St Petersburg and she was the best gymnast in the city at that point.

They also did something weird in 1998 when euros was in st Petersburg- the junior team was selected only from those from St Petersburg and up the road in Novgorod.

1998 Euros was the competition where the empty seats infuriated me so much that I decided to figure out how to go to gymnastics competitions (no small feat when I didn’t have internet).

I’m revising for my first judging exam atm so I expect some on-topic questions will follow.

1998 Euros was the competition where the empty seats infuriated me so much that I decided to figure out how to go to gymnastics competitions (no small feat when I didn’t have internet).
At that point, Russia was in a very bad place financially and it was touch and go whether it would be possible to host euros. Also, it has only been in the last 10 years or so that they started charging for gymnastics competitions. Even until the mid 00s you could just walk into the stadium but there were always huge numbers of empty seats when nationals and Russia cup was at Luzhniki stadium. So I don’t imagine that in 1998, the people of Peterburg were very happy about having to buy a ticket to watch a gymnastics competition!

1998 was peak economic meltdown, wasn’t it? (I should know this, but my brain in fried right now)

Talking to people who were in Russia and Eastern Europe in the 90s is wild. I once had a US diplomat tell me “It was fucking insane. I’m so glad I was there!”

Yes. Put everyone right off the idea of democracy and a year later, steps in a certain V. V. Putin and by 2002 we were one of the fastest growing economies in the world.

No, I could swear I saw a video on the old forum of a gymnast doing back tuck to immediate punch front. Or maybe that was a figment of wishful thinking.

1998 Euros did seem to be a pretty big arena as well.

Ok an actual judging question…

Missing start number is a 0.3 deduction. What was the penalty in the Athens COP? I watched the Vise incident recently and the commentators just say “a deduction”. I know 0.3 meant a lot more back then and they didn’t know what a splatfest that TF would end up being, but not starting within the 30 seconds is much riskier deduction-wise. That’s assuming Tim is correct about the zero of course.

ETA These days not starting within 30 seconds is -0.3 (happened at the CWG I think). Starting after 60 seconds is a zero.

Last edited:
Earlier in this thread @FrolovasDoubleLayout let me know that WTC had issued specific guidance about front tumbling on beam that basically addressed my original complaint. Is there any place the general public can stay apprised of this type of info or are these memorandums sent only on a need-to-know basis?

Missing start number is a 0.3 deduction. What was the penalty in the Athens COP? I
It was a .2 deduction in the CoP.

The Vise situation was a mystery to me. They should have had her go and let the .2 be taken off.
It was the exact same deduction as starting after the 30 seconds. Which really should have been deducted but likely was not. Unsure to know because Vise fell, was a 8.875 the fall plus deductions plus the .2 after 30 seconds or was the 30 second deduction not taken.

If Vise didn’t start within 60 seconds, her routine would have been ended and she would have scored a 0. Which again, seemed like they definitely got close to 60 seconds.

No you’re remembering correctly. It was a soviet gymnast. She did standing tucked back to immediate punch front. I think it was in a compilation on YouTube.

Yeah, I mean Simone and Laurant are banking on it only being the stated ND for vault having him up there. Know the rules to feel comfortable about breaking them and all that.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back