2024 NCAA Week 3: 01/15/24-01/21/2024

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

irichluck21

Staff member
Defender
Lindenwood just broke their program regard with a 197.075. The Tennessee classic is usually a high scoring meet that doesn't get repeated in other meets. Still, with the program in it's final year, it's a nice consolation.

ETA: Ball State 197.9, 197.75 for Kent State at this Tennessee invitational. Georgia blushed.

Last edited:
On the bright side, maybe Ball State scoring a 198 will finally usher in scoring reform in NCAA?
I wish. This meet is a huge outlier, the rest of the season these teams are scored more reasonably at home/away.

The last two SEC meets tonight were bonkers. Scores are just vibes.

I was really impressed by Aly's commentating. I thought she added a ton of useful insight, thoughts from previous meets or practices, comments from gymnasts... She came off so prepared and genuinely enthused with NCAA. And she sounded really comfortable and invested.

JaFree Scott just vaulted for Georgia! I never thought I'd see it.

Not sure if this was news or not, but Haleigh Bryant confirmed last night that she won't be taking a 5th year.

Not sure if this was news or not, but Haleigh Bryant confirmed last night that she won't be taking a 5th year.
I saw that, but I wouldnt say she confirmed she wont be taking a 5th year. We can maybe speculate, remember, they did not directly ask her if she wasnt taking a 5th year, they just asked her about competing in the PMAC and she said something about "being my last time". We can just as easily speculate that she is just a seasoned veteran living in the moment, not taking anything for granted and knowing that the time will come later to explicitly answer that question. I dont know her, but I cant imagine why she would not take a 5th year, but we will find out in the summer.

Other friday night observations
  • Florida is actually better than I thought they would be in a rebuilding year. If they can clean up some of the routines they will compete (not win). I am surprised that half their lineups are freshman. Unfortunately, all their challenging meets except LSU are on the road. Which still makes me scratch my head why Savs transferred other than $$$, her impact on UF's lineup would have been much greater than at LSU. Next year the empire strikes back.
  • LSU is by far the class of the SEC this year, this is officially their window again to win a title. (we will see what Bryant does next year). Still going to be interesting how to manage all that talent
  • Kentucky is 2nd in the league, have some strong freshman coupled with those 2 super seniors and a down Florida, they might have a chance if LSU slips.
  • After Kentucky I think there is a cluster of Arky, Mizzou, Alabama and Florida, perhaps in that order. Early surprise is how well Arky looks 2 meets in. Can they sustain that?
  • Georgia and Auburn are bringing up the rear of the SEC. Georgia already is decimated by injuries. Auburn just doesnt seem to have the same "vibe" after Suni and Goburne are gone.
  • OU is probably chomping at the bit to throw their 198 out there tomorrow.

I'd really like Kentucky, Arkansas and Missouri to be able to convincingly upset the hierarchy in the SEC. I'm just not convinced Alabama and Florida won't rally over the course of the season. They both have a lot of potential.

I thought LSU looked genuinely great last night, and their floor lineup is especially intimidating even without finnegan

There was no confirmation that Bryant won't be taking a 5th year.

If it is indeed her "last time in the PMAC" who is to say she won't transfer to another school and take her 5th year, especially if she her desired master's degree is not at LSU, additionally, we don't know if LSU will have a scholarship for her next year.

She could also change her mind. Shchennikova was also not taking her 5th year until she changed her mind last minute, post-season.

I am wondering if Jillian Hoffman is regretting going to LSU. She hasn't competed at all, not even vault where she really could be in the line up.

I was really impressed by Aly's commentating. I thought she added a ton of useful insight, thoughts from previous meets or practices, comments from gymnasts... She came off so prepared and genuinely enthused with NCAA. And she sounded really comfortable and invested.
I agree completely. I am an admitted Aly fan, but I was actually very surprised at what an outstanding job she did. She sounded so extremely prepared and polished. Aly is multitalented and has been very smart in terms of how she has marketed herself and I now suspect she has a long term goal in terms of broadcasting.

I agree completely. I am an admitted Aly fan, but I was actually very surprised at what an outstanding job she did. She sounded so extremely prepared and polished. Aly is multitalented and has been very smart in terms of how she has marketed herself and I now suspect she has a long term goal in terms of broadcasting.
I’m going to call it now. NBC will stick with Sam through this year then dump her for Aly

I thought Aly was great. I wasn't that surprised because she's always so dedicated to what she puts her mind to. She's developed into a good speaker with all of her advocacy work.

I hope this means she's commentating the rest of season going forward.

I’m going to call it now. NBC will stick with Sam through this year then dump her for Aly
thats so raven GIF

Another 197 for Ohio State and kept it (fairly) close to Michigan, especially considering a poor balance beam rotation.

Exciting to see.

Whoever designed this Clemson leotard should be immediately fired. How did anyone with eyes think this was remotely appropriate for a gymnastics meet?!
IMG_1617 2.jpg

Reactions: Dex
Aly surprised me because at times I've thought her slightly pandering, a tiny bit obnoxious, or a little inauthentic. She really wasnt too much of any of those things on TV, she legitimately seemed several times more in touch with NCAA than I am. She knew things I didn't, she recognized gymnasts and trends I didn't, and she was not vocally off putting at all. I'm sure she was nervous for a first time outing but I'm having trouble thinking of anyone else they've tried out that was more enjoyable or informed. I had no idea she, or really any gymnast who hadn't done NCAA, could follow, love, support, and inform on NCAA to that level. That threw me for a loop.

@dweiss324 She thanked everyone for supporting her on her socials and stated that she took the role very seriously so she prepared for a very long time, and it showed. I am thrilled to have her commentating, she has always been a vocal leader and advocate for female gymnasts.

@Kara that Clemson leo is horrific, I haven't watched the meet yet because I have been cooking all day, but I am sure it is just as bad. Cringe.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back