2024 NCAA Week 1 01/01/2024-01/07/2024

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

I enjoyed that fact that landings had to be hed. Finally, the college stick is dead!

That said, week 1 just reminded me why I just cannot get into NCAA. Screaming and jumping around like you just won Olympic gold because someone did......a cast handstand? It's too much for me. Celebrate a hit routine? Sure. Celebrating a full turn on beam? Chill, y'all.

I mean Katelyn exhibitioned another which kind of counts as competing it? I also really think Paige's Y1.5 will show up soon, though I guess we'll see. Vault was their second-highest event score today though I think, so less worried about that right now.
And, are they going to execute a 10.0 vault any better than a 9.95 vault? I guess there are bragging rights to saying you have a lineup of 10.0 vaults but if they are chucking them, is there really a point?

I enjoyed that fact that landings had to be hed. Finally, the college stick is dead!

That said, week 1 just reminded me why I just cannot get into NCAA. Screaming and jumping around like you just won Olympic gold because someone did......a cast handstand? It's too much for me. Celebrate a hit routine? Sure. Celebrating a full turn on beam? Chill, y'all.
I genuinely don't know how gymnasts focus when the coach is on the side screaming/cheering after every skill. I'd have to hop off it would annoy me so much.

Week 1 pretty much in the books. Tried to watch most of the big meets and then some. My thoughts:
  • Oklahoma, its them and everyone else. Even with first meet of season they almost hit 198. KJ has this dynasty on cruise control, and with more talent available than previous seasons
  • LSU doesnt look like a team to me at least at the beginning. They have probably the most collection of talent of any NCAA team, but they seem like a bunch of paid individuals doing their thing. Jay almost has too much talent. They will be interesting to watch how they utilize everyone. I wonder how long they will let Konnor throw elite skills.
  • Utah looks promising, I dont think it is due to any coaching change, just a solid roster
  • Surprised to see Michigan struggle so much, beam once again
  • Other than that, good starts for Minnesota, Ohio State, Bama, and Missouri
  • After one week, its Oklahoma by a mile and then a cluster of Utah, UCLA, LSU. Talent for those three teams seem to be there to contend if Oklahoma has a bad day and they have a good day but head to head I'll still take Oklahoma. Florida on deck.
Any other observations or thoughts?

I think LSU is going to be right up there with Oklahoma once it figures out line-ups. There were several new faces out there. Drayton did a great job on vault and floor. McClain will be 9.9 onbars and beam, I really loved her full twisting double back dismount on bars. Olivia Dunne was a nice surprise on floor.
If they didn't count a fall on beam, they would have been mid 197.

There was a bit of "rust" In the first meet, but Schoenherr is going to be a valuable member of vault and bars. Kiya being back in the AA is a huge deal, and the fact they can rest her on floor and not lose too much is big news.
Shchenikova looks like she is badly injured, leg in a cast and was using the wheelchair thing for her leg to get herself around.

But after finishing 4th last year and not losing any routines, getting Schoenherr, McClain, Drayton, and of course Kiya back adds to the depth they didn't have last year.

If they don't get the injury bug that they had last year, they will be right there fighting for the national team title in April.

Also Kentucky and Alabama looked great for their first meet.

My husband watched a bit with me and was appalled. He said why are they screaming and jumping around for no reason like 5 year olds. He had to leave the room lol.

This weekend's quad with UCLA, Utah, Oklahoma, and LSU will be interesting. Plus its on ABC proper. Gonna be a good one.

UGHHHHH Why did I agree to do Dry January??

I agree, LSU is the only team with the talent to possibly knock off OU. I think I looked at their roster, and they have something like 10-12 seniors or super seniors on their squad. Nothing should surprise this seasoned group. If they dont pull it out this year, I am not sure when they will.

I think Alabama is going to be the surprise group of the SEC, with Florida having a slightly off year with counting on so many freshman.

Reactions: One
OU benefitted from some over scores in their first meet as well.

OU has aggressive gymnastics and are generally clean in execution, but often times errors are overlooked. But overall they have the most fight of any team. I think LSU can get close to that based off last year's results.

I also think Utah can be in the hunt for the team title.

But don't sleep on Cal. I can see them making Final 4 and pushing the top teams with their bars, beam, and floor lineups. They lack on vault however, and are very reminiscent of the OU team circa 2010-2013 that were circling around that team title but lacked the vaults needed to secure.
They were one less fall away from the Final Four last year.

Last edited:
Hi @GymnasticsLion .

We are going to merge the weekly updates thread with the usual weekly discussion thread we put out each week.

No need for a separate thread if it is just announcing scores and event winners. It will be a nice wrap up to the weekly discussion.

Thanks!

Last edited:
My husband watched a bit with me and was appalled. He said why are they screaming and jumping around for no reason like 5 year olds. He had to leave the room lol.
I read somewhere that Maile requested her teammates not cheer until she's finished with her acro series. I bet the teammates yelling in the background is decent pressure beam prep, but personally I would have to compete in earplugs haha.

Re Michigan, I think what's biting them in the butt right now is injuries that were less relevant when they had 6 strong AAers. Morgan being injured, Vore not being able to reach her pre-achilles-tear peak, and the medical retirements of Vides and Lane were more easily put on the back burner in the past. I wonder if Covid had never happened, whether Michigan would've dealt with the departures of the '19/'20 freshman classes better.

I feel that post-title Michigan is akin to what the Jay Clark years of UGA might've looked like if Suzanne had retired in 2012 or something, idk. I hope this slump is temporary, but I wouldn't be surprised if things don't start to improve until the class of '25/'26 come in.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back