2023 Xfinity Nationals Senior WAG Day 2 discussion

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

It’s nearly impossible for Chiles to do Cheng vault this year, but her Cheng is a possibility when she takes time off from NCAA next year. Typically they don’t upgrade vault at the selection camp anyway.
Biles first competed the Biles I vault (1/2 on, 2/1 off) at 2018 Worlds Team Trials/selection camp

I was thinking about that, and the fact that Chiles hasn’t shown her second vault yet seems more likely due to the fact that she’s saving something for camp than it does that she’s not training one. The reigning vault silver medalist dropping her second vault (rather than working to upgrade) seems very unlikely.

The reigning vault silver medalist dropping her second vault (rather than working to upgrade) seems very unlikely.
But if the reports are correct, Chiles took two months off after NCAAs from training and was just seriously training three weeks ago.

With Biles back and Carey and Roberson, amongst others doing a 2nd vault, Chiles might have decided to just stick with the DTY through the rest of the year.

Maybe, but if that’s the case, then I don’t think she’ll be able to do enough to make the Worlds team. I wonder why she took the two months off? She was looking amazing at NCAA finals. Seems out of character for her, unless she’s having trouble with motivation now that she’s accomplished so much over the last couple years in elite.

We’ll have to wait and see. She still has to care about cleaning up and put in the work herself. Time will tell. Right now she should expect to be on the PanAm team.

Did she take much/any time off last year between NCAA and worlds? This might have been her first off season/break since lockdown given that she did the tour as well.

Wildness aside (always feel like we need this disclaimer after Tokyo), realistically she’s going to struggle to match, let alone surpass Liverpool with team gold and two individual silvers. Perhaps this was long-term strategy to give herself some recharging time before going on a 2024 upgrade push.

Agreed with RAFIKI, the schedule of the Olympians has been nonstop for Carey and Chiles especially, and it would be smart to play the long game. Not saying they would be thrilled to miss out this year, but Antwerp isn’t really the priority. They proved what they needed to last year.

Biles upgraded vault in 2018 but that is, well, Biles. Not exactly the most representative example of what others can do.

Chiles also took a LONG time to have a viable second vault despite teasing one since 2017. I don’t expect a Cheng to happen overnight (if at all) after a break trying to gain back her existing skills. I could see her FTDLO returning for camp, prudent given how much her bid relies on floor.

Agreed! But we’ve just seen the Landis teach Roberson a Cheng, and Chiles is by far the superior technical vaulter. I’m still holding out hope that we’ll see some surprises at camp.

But you’re right about the long game, and very few gymnasts know the long game like Jordan Chiles… I’ll never forget Tim Daggett quoting Jordan about the Olympics at some nationals maybe in 2019, how she said she thinks about the Olympics “every day,” and how depressed I was for her still holding out so much hope when she kept missing team after team. And then 2021 happened.

Biles isn’t a typical example, and she did extremely well at the 2018 Champ. Blakely only has two to three weeks to train floor that she struggled. I don’t think there is room for extra Cheng upgrade this year, especially when her Lopez was devalued at classics. It’s a good year for her to build confidence on half-on and compete Lopez at worlds before potentially upgrading next year.

My point is there’s not a precedent of WCC gymnasts not upgrading vault at Worlds trials, which is what you said above. Unless you meant it as a generalization of all USA gymnasts and not just WCC, then maybe…

I’m not expecting a Chiles Cheng this year but I also won’t be surprised if she does it.

I would not be surprised if Chiles does (or doesn’t) do a Lopez at selection camp. I just don’t think she’s going to do a Cheng there.

So front layout halves on VT can be downgraded to pikes, but rudis cannot.

We’re rudis ever downgradable?

What about front layout full VTs nowadays?

Didn’t Chusovitina get the front pike full named after her (after McIntosh did the layout version) as well as the layout rudi?

I remember Mustafina getting her Mustafina VT downgraded to a pike in 2010 Worlds EF even when the rules said that couldn’t happen.

Addison Fatta posted on her IG that she would be at selection camp, so even though they haven’t announced it, the gymnasts seem to know who is invited.

Front layout full can be downgraded because front pike full exists in the code. I am not sure about the rules in 2010, but the piked version of Mustafina vault is in the code. However, both Rudi and Cheng are not downgradable. In general vaults with 1.5 twist or above off in layout position are safe!

Last edited:
Phan flashed the number of a piked front full in VT finals but did a Rudi and it was credited as piked.
Side note it’s crazy to me that the event where it’s easiest by far to come up with a D score is the only one that requires you to tell the judges in advance. Why??

Front layout full can be downgraded because front pike full exists in the code. I am not sure about the rules in 2010, but the piked version of Mustafina vault is in the code. However, both Rudi and Cheng are not downgradable. In general vaults with 1.5 twist or above off in layout position are safe!
I’m sorry if I missed this conversation but I thought the piked rudi DOES exist in the COP(or at least it did in 2011)

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back