2023 Xfinity Nationals Senior WAG Day 2 discussion

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Really not sure the reasoning or why it began, but in this modern era it helps me mentally prepare for what I’m about to see, particularly for the pre-flight

Agreed. I’m working on my first judging qualification and found it weird not knowing what vault to expect in the practise videos. Hopefully I’ll improve.

At 2019 worlds the excitement that went through our gymnerd group when we saw that Downie was about to vault a Cheng was quite something.

There are four non-rebounding connections in Biles’s beam routine. They are super fast and I don’t know someone else who connects faster. Personally I won’t take rhythm deductions, but I’m not sure whether the judges took them.

Almost all of her connections are pretty much rhythm of connection deduction free. She clearly moves her left foot forward after the forward aerial so she should lose the D + B and the SB.

I was curious about the front aerial. She normally doesn’t do that, though, and the connection was clean night 1.

c8e723df8325ce7f62c901925c7727564683c3a7_2_1033x726

Simone only needed an 11.6 on vault #2 to beat Roberson, and a layout Yurchenko is valued at 3.6

Last edited:
I don’t think she would have competed an easy vault. She has never competed a drastically downgraded routine on purpose. The closest one was her beam in 2021, when she just downgraded the dismount to double pike.

I’m just saying as a hypothetical to show how far in front she was. She obviously doesn’t need another vault title.

She does warm up layout Yurchenkos before going for Y2P.

You just reminded me that you’re a judge, so I have a random question somewhat related to Nationals, but really just related to Simone’s beam D score…

On her dismount sequence, why isn’t she seemingly getting a deserved 0.3 CV for 0.1 SB plus 0.2 for B+G acro connection? Is her bhs stepout in the dismount series ignored because the skill is already counted among to her earlier SB sequence of BHS+LOSOx2?

If that’s the case would she gain +0.2 DV from switch to sequential two-footed backhandsprings, or if that’s a challenge for her, maybe a one-armed BHS before her first sequence?

On her dismount sequence, why isn’t she seemingly getting a deserved 0.3 CV for 0.1 SB plus 0.2 for B+G acro connection? Is her bhs stepout in the dismount series ignored because the skill is already counted among to her earlier SB sequence of BHS+LOSOx2?
B + F (or higher) CV, where the F element is a dismount, was eliminated beginning with the 2022 - 2024 COP.

Thank you for clarifying! But isn’t it not just “B+F” (formerly +0.2) but also B+D/E (formerly +0.1) that have been eliminated? Which is logical since the 0.2 dismount bonus already rewards this.

Relatedly, I think that not giving extra bonus for hand-supporting acro elements that precede a dismount makes sense; I always found it odd that Carly Patterson was getting an even bigger reward for her ro+bhs+patterson than Raisman or Bross who skipped the BHS – it’s pretty obvious that a BHS isn’t being added there to up difficulty, but because certain gymnasts prefer those skills to generate power.

But then… to also count those skills as a “series” seems to kind of undercut that. But something like Aleah Finnegan’s nifty dismount sequence obviously should count for SB, so perhaps a hand-support distinction could properly distinguish those scenarios.

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying! But isn’t it not just “B+F” (formerly +0.2) but also B+D/E (formerly +0.1) that have been eliminated? Which is logical since the 0.2 dismount bonus already rewards this.
No, from 2017 - 2021, B + D/E CV did not apply to dismounts.

Relatedly, I think that not giving extra bonus for hand-supporting acro elements that precede a dismount makes sense; I always found it odd that Carly Patterson was getting an even bigger reward for her ro+bhs+patterson than Raisman or Bross who skipped the BHS – it’s pretty obvious that a BHS isn’t being added there to up difficulty, but because certain gymnasts prefer those skills to generate power.
I’m actually not a certified judge! I don’t want to mislead anyone. But I think I know the code alright. The series bonus applies to dismounts, and I disagree about the round-off + bhs. It is harder than a lone round-off. I’m not sure she was the very first to do it, but Silivas did round-off + bhs + double tuck at 1985 Euros (she did at at junior Euros in 84 too) and got huge reactions from the commentators and crowd. Now, that doesn’t prove it’s more difficult, but it’s another skill so I’d say it is more difficult

Fair enough! I suppose it’s no different than those weirdos who prefer whip backs to back handsprings and get rewarded for that preference.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back