2023 Xfinity Nationals Senior WAG Day 2 discussion

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Who is this “Emily” who made this video?

Many of those evaluations are too harsh. This person apparently doesn’t have a sharp enough eye to spot a 180° split in real time.

Last edited:
The filming angle doesn’t seem conducive to making the best evaluation. Is that what judges see?

Last edited:
Emily is a brevet judge from Australia. I assume she made the video, but I’m not 100% sure about that.

Well, there were some absolutely dumpy ones (Caylor needs to drop the skill yesterday) but some were surprisingly better than my eye caught.

“Body shape” here seems to be covering a few different mistakes though, which make more sense once unpacked. You can hit 180 and still have 1 or 2 flexed feet, a bent knee and then, significantly for this skill, lack of square hips, which does bug me. Suni does a beautiful split but her back knee is always turned slightly out instead of down, so I don’t really see why one instance was deemed deduction-free and the other not.

Kaliya and Simone hit 180 but always have a pretty noticeable skew at their hips at the apex of their split. Adding yet another 1 tenth for ‘precision’ to Kaliya’s attempt does feel harsh but it’s not untrue – you can see Kaliya absorb the landing and then square her arms + hips every time she performs this skill.

Why can’t everyone just do it like this? ha.

Last edited:
Turnout in the back leg is acceptable for a split though. Nastia’s is turned out. Suni’s technique on her switch 1/2 didn’t change overnight, Emily just thinks she’s seeing something from a different angle. But she’s not; Suni’s is deduction free

Haha this made me laugh because if you hadn’t heard of Tatiana Druchinina, you might think that Anna Liukin was the only 1987 RG World champion who went on to marry a multiple Olympic gold medalist, move to the US, be his assistant coach to multiple Olympic and world medalists and have a child win junior nationals

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back