2023 World Junior Gymnastic Artistic Championships (3/29-4/2, Antalya, Turkiye)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I would imagine that the FIG are in talks with federations who potentially could step in to host it

Reactions: L_R
My bad, for some reason I thought it was only for juniors who will be age-eligible for Paris.

USAG finally posted selection procedures: https://www.usagym.org/PDFs/Pressbox/Selection Procedures/w_23jrworlds.pdf

Turns out there will be a selection camp that isn’t published on the elite calendar. Sigh.
Provide the event names, dates, and locations of all trials, events and camps to be used as part of the selection process.
• 2023 Winter Cup: February 25-26, 2023, Louisville, KY
• 2023 Junior World Championships Selection Event: March 4-7, 2023, Katy, TX
Top 2 from Winter Cup will be named to the team. Camp will be used to choose the 3rd member and alternate. Camp will not be going in rank order, it appears.
The 2023 Junior World Championships Team will be comprised of four (4) athletes, three (3) of whom will be selected for the team qualifications (Competition I) lineup.

The top two (2) Junior All-Around winners, must be 14 or 15 years-old in 2023, from the rank order of the junior All-Around competition at the 2023 Winter Cup will automatically qualify to the Junior World Championships Team.

Using the Discretionary Selection Criteria as set forth in Section 2.2, the ASC will select up to eight (8) additional athletes to attend the Junior World Selection Event.

The additional one (1) member and the traveling alternate of the 2023 Junior World Championships Team will be selected at the conclusion of the Junior World Championships Selection Event.

The ASC may also select non-traveling replacement athletes using the Discretionary Selection Criteria as set forth in Section 2.2.

The team will be announced by the completion of the Junior World Championships Selection Event.

That selection criteria certainly makes things interesting. Junior AA competitions often throw some unexpected results, especially at the start of the season

Well, at least they seem to be learning. Last time, Tom just went with straight AA results from camp, which resulted in McClain being alternate.

The junior worlds selection camp will also be used to pick the three juniors for the Jesolo team.

Yeah, that specific team selection going by rank order cost the US team silver in 2019 and they would have put pressure on the Russians (who were likely never going to be caught anyway).

Weren’t most of the questions about that around not selecting McClain though, and that was just a case of a bad day at the selection camp. I don’t think you should select juniors on name or previous achievement.

Do the US coaches know the junior code this time round?

Weren’t most of the questions about that around not selecting McClain though, and that was just a case of a bad day at the selection camp. I don’t think you should select juniors on name or previous achievement.

Do the US coaches know the junior code this time round?
Yes, McClain finished 4th, .4 out of 3rd and IIRC fell off beam.
Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 4.53.24 PM

I don’t see how anyone can look at those scores and justify taking McClain over Barros. This was two 14 year olds. Forster did the right thing. Was he supposed to tell Barros oh actually it doesn’t matter how well you did here, the competition was a farce and we were always going to take McClain over you?

Barros ended up placing 6th AA at Jr. Worlds, beating Skye Blakely there. It’s not like she was some giant weak link that cost USA the gold.

What they’re doing this year is unnecessarily convoluted. It’s a junior competition for children. Just take the top 4 from Winter Cup to Worlds, send the alternate and everyone else to Jesolo. Done. There’s no need for an extra selection camp.

Yeah, it is a result that doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things so why make it all convoluted. The only benefit to the extra hoops is that is often how senior teams are chosen so getting them used to the circus early might help in the future?

I always like giving second chances to the truly talented who just had a rough day (especially with women’s gymnastics, there is no telling how certain days of the month affect you) but there is value for competitions that don’t qualify you to anything to just chose whover brings it on the particular day.

I think Alipio should’ve been the alternate, she was 3rd UB and 1st BB, and only a tenth behind McClain in the AA. I wish they’d allow 4 member teams in the future.

She’s normally better. She actually has a Chuso that she attempted with a spot at one of the WOGA invitationals earlier this season.

The choreography needs some serious improvement. Seeing a gymnast stand in place for several seconds waiting for a musical cue has been driving me nuts since 2007 Shawn Johnson.

prob not used to a different floor I thought. Didn’t give it enough going in.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back