2023 Winter Cup

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Some real gems I missed in this thread.
Genuinely the worst elite level floor routine I have ever seen. Everyone involved in having this gymnast compete elite with such poor posture, presentation, musical awareness should hang their heads in shame

Sophia Buechler - Floor Exercise - 2023 Winter Cup - Junior Women - YouTube
This statement shows you are not qualified to judge musicality. Sophia hit many of the music beats in this performance, while doing complex choreography even, and while showing a definite feeling and timing for the music (such as her very deliberate outward arm extensions after the 2nd pass). Her leg movements while in the upside down open pike were perfectly with the music and something more creative than what’s seen in the majority of other routines these days.

The musicality here is nowhere close to the worst, and better than a good deal of routines from gymnasts who have made it to the Olympics.

She has a lot to work to on, but there is an artistic spark there. Attention was paid to the music and there were meaningful attempts to express it.

Whereas a routine like Hong Un Jong’s shows no real musicality.

Jesus Christ, why are we dragging up a post from bloody February?

Hey, Winter Cup related, Brooke Pierson has switched from WOGA to WCC. Avery King didn’t competed at Winter Cup, but she also semi-recently left WOGA and is now at Metroplex.

Everyone to WCC! Last one there has to compete with no floor music!

Reactions: Bob
Sumanasekera and Roberson on bars for prelims is a toss-up, but they would be okay for finals. VT/BB/FX are insanely strong.

in a world where MDJDS could compete for the sovereign nation of WCC, they’d definitely contend for a lot of medals (assuming Simone and Melanie are in their prime)

VT: Roberson/Sumanasekera, Chiles, Biles
UB: Chiles, Biles, Miller
BB: Chiles/Roberson, Sumanasekera, Biles
FX: Roberson, Chiles, Biles

To make a team of non-WCC gymnasts, you’d likely do this: Lee, Carey, Jones, Wong, Blakely…

TF: (for me)
VT Blakely, Jones, Carey
UB Wong, Jones, Lee
BB Wong, Blakely, Lee
FX Jones, Wong, Carey

Do we think that team could ever beat the WCC team? I guess Biles really stacks WCC, but still.

Sumanasekera and Roberson on bars for prelims is a toss-up, but they would be okay for finals. VT/BB/FX are insanely strong.
Sumanasekera, without a doubt. She’s a stronger AAee than Roberson, never mind the fact that I don’t want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spork when watching her gymnastics.

Tiana’s top scores this year add up to a lower AA total than Roberson’s. For all the talk about Roberson being bad on UB, Tiana has yet to hit 13 on that event.

Last edited:
Biles, MJDS, Chiles, Miller, Roberson! MJDS replaces Sumanasekera IMO. But a case could be made for keeping Tiana for beam and using Chiles vs. Miller on bars, which is only .5 or so. Chiles and Biles still do AA.

VT: Roberson, Chiles, Biles
UB: MJDS, Biles, Miller
BB: MJDS, Chiles, Biles
FX: Roberson, Chiles, Biles

You could drop Roberson for Sumanasekera, particularly if you’re focused on team and not event finals. The difference between them, score-wise, is minimal on vault and floor. And Sumanasekera is useable on beam.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back