2023 Week 10 (March 6-12)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Kai Rivers out with an achilles injury, 2nd of her career. I don’t like LSU much, but they’ve had rotten luck with injuries this season.

ETA: apparently it was on a DLO on FX during training. I know they’re scrapping the barrel to fill lineups with all the injuries, but I would’ve been hesitant trying to get someone with Rivers’ injury history back into VT/FX.

Last edited:
Kai Rivers out with an achilles injury, 2nd of her career. I don’t like LSU much, but they’ve had rotten luck with injuries this season.

ETA: apparently it was on a DLO on FX during training. I know they’re scrapping the barrel to fill lineups with all the injuries, but I would’ve been hesitant trying to get someone with Rivers’ injury history back into VT/FX.
Rivers injury is not surprising given her history.
She is also a senior and NOT taking a 5th year from what I understand. the request to get into the floor line up was her idea and not necessarily Clark’s, and she has been training floor all season, so just bad luck for her and LSU.

I do think that Clark should have asked Rivers to stick to beam only as she is sorely needed for that event.

With all their gymnasts out it is surprising they are still scoring high 197s, but then again LSU home cooking scoring.

Final weekend before conference championships!!!

Friday
6:00pm ET/
3:00pm PT Bridgeport @ Southern Connecticut FREE
7:00pm ET/
4:00pm PT [2] Michigan @ [18] Georgia LINK SEC+
4:00pm PT Ball State, North Carolina, SEMO @ [17] Missouri SEC+
4:00pm PT [21] Maryland, Towson, William & Mary @ George Washington ESPN+
4:00pm PT LIU @ Pitt ACC+
4:00pm PT Cornell @ West Chester LINK
8:00pm ET/
5:00pm PT Penn State @ [9] Auburn LINK SEC+
5:00pm PT [19] Minnesota @ [16] Arkansas LINK SEC+
5:00pm PT Boise State @ [8] Alabama LINK SEC+
5:00pm PT BYU @ Arizona LINK FREE
8:30pm ET/
5:30pm PT West Virginia @ [6] LSU LINK SEC+
9:00pm ET/
6:00pm PT [24] Iowa, San Jose State @ [22] Southern Utah LINK ESPN+
10:00pm ET/
7:00pm PT [15] Ohio State, [20] Stanford, Utah State @ [7] Cal FREE

Saturday
1:00pm ET/
10:00am PT DIII East Regional (@ Ursinus) FREE
3:00pm ET/
12:00pm PT Iowa State @ [5] UCLA LINK P12
12:00pm PT [12] Kentucky, Illinois State @ [22] Illinois LINK BTN+
12:00pm PT DIII West Regional (@ Oshkosh) LINK FREE
5:00pm ET/
2:00pm PT [4] Utah @ [13] Oregon State LINK P12
6:00pm ET/
3:00pm PT Lindenwood @ Centenary FREE
4:00pm PT [11] Denver, Air Force @ Nebraska BTN+
4:00pm PT Northern Illinois @ [10] Michigan State LINK BTN+

Sunday
12:00pm ET/
9:00am PT Towson, George Washington, Temple, Yale @ [21] Maryland BTN+
10:00am PT Central Michigan @ Kent State LINK FREE
10:00am PT Western Michigan @ Ball State LINK ESPN3
2:00pm ET/
11:00am PT [3] Florida, [25] Washington, NC State @ TWU LINK TWU ($)
11:00am PT West Virginia, Penn @ Rutgers LINK BTN+
11:00am PT Bowling Green @ Eastern Michigan LINK ESPN+
11:00am PT Brown @ New Hampshire
11:00am PT Southern Connecticut @ Bridgeport
12:00pm PT [14] Arizona State @ [1] Oklahoma LINK ESPN+
4:00pm ET/
1:00pm PT Arizona, UC Davis, Sacramento State @ [7] Cal FREE

Can someone remind me if conference championships have any effect on regionals, or are they mostly a nothing burger (outside of the SEC, at least).

correct, they can count towards NQS.

Suni will not be competing tonight. “Non-gymnastics health issue that has impaired her ability to train.”

Conferences can count as a road score for all teams IF they are in SEC, PAC 12, Big Ten or another conference that has a neutral site hosting the meet.
For example, Duluth, Georgia is hosting SEC this year. While UGA is in Georgia, the venue is over an hour away.

However, some of the smaller conferences or gymnastics only conferences, the conference championship is hosted by a school. For example the MAC conference meet (7 schools) is being hosted by Kent State. So for Kent State they can only count the score for a home/road meet. The other 6 teams can count it as home/road or road.

Bailey Lovett has basically announced her retirement on Twitter . The exact reason isn’t clear, but her tweets clearly indicate that she’s not happy about the way things ended.
She has been struggling with injuries for years (brace on her left arm, and last year brace on her knee) and she has been inconsistent on floor. She crashed her double layout badly on floor against Missouri and looked like she stung/crunched her ankles pretty badly.

She’s likely not happy that she is done for the season due to injury because she is a grad student so this was her final few meets, additionally because she is in law school she does not train with the team and has to trains separately and on her own, plus managing all the work of law school courses while traveling for meets is extremely difficult.

I am sure she wanted to compete at SEC and regionals to close out her career the way she wanted it, not forced to sit out because of her body not being capable.

Last edited:
Interesting that SEC just announced when OU enters they will be going to a 2 day conference championship like regionals, with the #1 seed getting a bye into the 2nd day and the winners of the first day along with the highest scoring second team making up the 4 on the championship day.

Also looks like SEC will have fewer out of conference meets since all teams will be required to compete against each other.

SEC might do something along the line of Big Ten.
5 in conference dual meets, then they meet the other 4 at Big 5s.
Perhaps tri meets?

I have wondered this season how she was managing everything with training and law school. She literally has to be superwoman. Congratulations to her on a wonderful career! She was a lovely and talented gymnast and by all accounts a wonderful person and teammate. I wish her all the best in the future!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back