2023 US Classic (Pre Meet and WAG Juniors Discussion)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Quite possible. Though a 2.5 with the twisties doesn’t sound like a skill I’d want to be doing either!

Also a valid point!

I wonder if, at the time, they still couldn’t shake the idea that the Amanar was the ‘safe’ option. The one she’d always been able to knock out regardless.

I get that she couldn’t do the amanar if she does the YDP but she did the YDP at the classic in 2021 but she used the amanar and cheng combo for every other comp though. Many thought her training the YDP and the amanar might have done some harm

She’d definitely had more Amanars under her belt, so maybe it felt more comfortable overall.

But given that USAG’s plans A, B, and C for Tokyo seemed to be “we got Simone”, she was really between a rock and a hard place.

Probably a fuckton better. Aimee would have never let that ridiculous goat stuff happen and would have not pushed the insane difficulty so fast and kept her landings in control. The trade off probably would have been the bars medal in Doha, but honestly, who cares?

Last edited:
She really was. She understood Simone. Can’t help but wonder how things would have gone for Simone in Tokyo if Aimee had stayed her coach.
What do you think she would have done differently?

Per Tom, Simone was having no problems with the Amanar until balking in the one-touch. There was no time to prepare the Y2P as that would literally have been her competition vault.

The twisties were initially prevalent only in the full-twisting saltos, and to a lesser extent the triple-double. She had planned to compete a front full-DLO on floor and double double off beam in TF.

Last edited:
Ah, and then they just metastasized at exactly the wrong moment.

She did, that was a slightly different situation though. So I tend to think you’re right and we’re going to see her use the YDP over the Amanar from now on.

I’m not going to hold my breath, but maaaaaaybe Landi learned something and will manage her better this time.

But what can he do if she wants to keep pushing? She’s his employer (well, her family is) and an adult and while she doesn’t seem like the “if you don’t cater to me, I’ll quit/fire you” but they have to have the same vision and Simone is the one driving the car here. I mean, i want a great outcome for her but her ideas on a great outcome might be different from everyone else’s.

Agreed, I don’t think we’ve ever seen a gymnast who has as much agency over her career as Simone. But after Tokyo, I have little doubt that she’ll be taking her well-being extra seriously this time around. No guarantee, but I’m choosing to be optimistic.

It’s not much different to paying a personal trainer. You are paying them for their knowledge and expertise. If you don’t want to take it, there’s no point in employing them

It was my understanding that they let Simone get creative with her skills, especially since she had really attained all the goals she already had made, but worked with her to get her to execute them safely. Many of her skills appeared “overpowered” but iirc that’s a tactic to prevent short landings and save her ankles long term. I could be wrong.

Yeah but generally the client doesn’t also own the gym where the trainer trains other clients. I imagine if they had a big falling out over the direction of her gymnastics, it would be pretty uncomfortable for him and his wife to remain at WCC. I don’t think anything like that would happen, it is just that what some people want for her gymnastics (to be as controlled and precise as they were in 2016) might not be what she wants for them and her coach can’t exactly put her in time out like they might a child. And threatening to drop her as a client isn’t as much of a threat as it would be to someone whose family didn’t own a world class gym and have lots of money and was relying on the coach to get them to the top level.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back