2023 Pan Am Gymnastics Championship (Worlds Qualifier) May 26-28

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I think it is interesting that we are all betting on elites who went to college to be back to their previous form/skills (or better) going back to Elite. I mean, we’ve seen Jordan and Jade manage decently well but isn’t it generally a difficult thing for them to get their Elite routines back up and running? Jade and Jordan are also built more like tanks (and I mean that in a positive way) which has usually been a help coming back from a break in Elite (see Aly and Simone and even Mykayla) while the less muscular types generally struggle with injuries (see Nastia, Laurie, and probably lots of others I am forgetting) and miss. Either way, it has historically been rare that it all works out.

(all that said, I’ve still got hopes for Gabby making a splash if she ends up wanting to compete!)

Lee / Chiles / Carey did nearly half of their hard routines in their key events every week in college gymnastics. So they probably translate well in elite.

A watered down bars routine (6.1D) for Lee:
Tkachev (D) + Bhardwaj (E)
VL (E)
Jaeger (D) + Pak (D) + Maloney (D) + Gienger (D) (NCAA)
Pirouette
Full Twisting Double Tuck (D)

A watered down beam routine (5.8D) for Lee:
A mount
Double wolf turn (D) (NCAA)
Front Aerial (D) (assume connection break)
Switch (C) + Switch Half (D) (NCAA)
Side Aerial (D) + LOSO (C) + LOSO (NCAA)
Switch Ring (E)
Gainer layout dismount (D)

These routines are manageable for Lee.

Last edited:
has Suni shown a church(that’s a piked version of a nabieva right?) before?

Last edited:
Sumanasekera’s floor:

I love her work, but I hate the routine construction of DLO, double tuck, double pike. I hope she’s planning upgrades on one or more of those passes

I think one of the mexican gymnasts had a similar tumbling set. I agree that it is…lackluster. i wouldn’t like a routine that was 3 different twisting passes. I know micro-maniging rules are annoying, but there should be a group/family limit. Like, don’t bother with the double tuck if you are doing a double lay and a double pike. If she could jazz one of them up with a full or half twist…

Now we didn’t see much of FX but maybe they saw someone doing something more than a double pike and just lost their marbles…

I just watched Roberson’s floor from TF. While I’ll spare further comment on her form, I will note that it seems clear to me that she’s training a Biles II. I’ve never seen someone twist a Moors basically all in the first salto. In trampoline, it would be a 3/2 in, Barani Out. It would be a good move, because if she could tuck it she would avoid the huge leg separation/piking deductions. That’s a borderline 3. Not to mention the extra tenth in D.

I also get major vibes that her floor music was a Biles-offcut that presumably Simone didn’t want to use. It’s a great piece, and it’s such a shame that it’s being used by Roberson who just cannot dance. Pointing and wiggling in the corner is not choreography.

Last edited:
I’m expecting the exact same pattern from last quad where everyone gets abruptly hammered at the Olympics. And since I don’t expect Roberson to make that team, it’ll end up looking like her mid-quad scores were super competitive against the gymnasts that have to face a judging panel who actually begin taking 5-6 tenths in artistry deductions.

That’s different from pattern at the Olympics. No Americans were judged at FIG competitions before in 2021, but Roberson has received at least 4 international scores, including 14s in FIG competitions.

I’m 99% sure that floor routine was the same one Roberson had last year at NETE. Why WCC didn’t insist on changing it is beyond me. Its terrible. There’s absolutely zero connection the choreography and music.

There was a training video about her Cheng two days ago, but it doesn’t look like she can pull this off safely in competitions.

Last edited:
The music is the same, but the element composition is quite a big change already. I beg to differ on the connection of choreography and music, because there are several parts where she connects the music well (before third pass corner and fourth pass corner). The movements before and after the wolf turn also link the music.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back