2023 Pan Am Gymnastics Championship (Worlds Qualifier) May 26-28

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

MaryClare

Defender
US team announced. Good to see Madray fit enough to be named alternate
IMG_3105

Last edited by a moderator:
Jordan Chiles scored 14.1 in Worlds TF. Many members of the national team can score around 14.05 on UB. But also, good for Nola! I think she’s great.

I get the argument for Roberson, but feels a little like they’re grinding her right the ground with all these assignments.

So likely
Fatta, Matthews, Roberson=AA
Sumanasekera VT/BB/FX
Miller UB

Or you could swap Roberson and Sumansekera.

Very strong team.

Well, like Skinner, maybe they are seeing how resilient she is. I assume if her coaches were worried or wanted more training/retooling time, they would ask for it? I think packing her schedule might handicap her future growth but i am not running this show.

I’d go Matthews, Fatta, Sumansekera in AA, Miller UB and BB, Roberson VT and FX.

Selection committee boxed themselves in by naming Fatta and Roberson to the team, they’re both going to vault. So someone has to sit, and while it could be Matthews, she won AA. Sumansekera is a stronger vaulter than Miller. So…

But no way can you put Roberson up on bars, and really her beam isn’t great, either.

Matthews and Fatta are doing AA.
Fatta and Roberson have two vaults so they will both do that. I heard Sumanasekera was training a second vault.

The only thing would be who is the 3rd AAer in prelims. Roberson or Sumanasekera. Both are equally bad at bars, which is why Miller is going. You do want Sumanasekera doing beam for sure so it is either Roberson or Miller off that event for her.

VT (Matthews) Roberson, Fatta, Sumanasekera
UB (Roberson/Sumanasekera), Fatta, Matthews, Miller
BB (Miller/Roberson) Fatta, Matthews, Sumanasekera
FX (Fatta), Matthews, Sumanasekera, Roberson

I don’t remember if there are team finals this championships or just the team qualifications in day 1.

Also another potential reason for Roberson being named to the team is that Sumanasekera and Miller are her teammates from WCC.

From what we’ve seen recently, I’d considered Sumanasekera’s bars more usable for quals. Additionally, Roberson is just coming from an international all around competition and they know how her bars were received. I’d say give Roberson a rest from UB/BB. It would be good to see both how Sumanasekera’s new bars are received and how she manages them in a bigger competition. Similar thoughts on beam–get some international feedback on Miller and see how she hits in an international competition. Roberson’s been competing a lot, so rest her on those events to help manage fatigue and burnout.

I know right! Especially when compared to Italy, Brazil seems to do a great job of injury management/pacing

I was trapped in my basement laying flooring (my back will never forgive me). How did they look? Was it a big competition or did they only invite a small number of athletes?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back