2023 coaching changes and athlete transfer portal

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

But she’d only have the one year left, right? In a nearly identical situation to Jillian?

But she’d only have the one year left, right? In a nearly identical situation to Jillian?
Hu has one year left, Hoffman two.

This was on the Twitter thread you posted.

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 6.30.19 PM

NCAA has to rule on eligibility to red-shirt.
Moors would not get the extra year because her ‘red shirt’ year was not medically related to injury.

Last edited:
NCAA isn’t going to allow someone like Natalie Wojick or Abby Heiskill to do 5 years and tell someone they can’t because their injured year used up their COVID year.

That is unfair.

The COVID year is a “bonus” year for all athletes. If you medically red-shirted a year it does not doubly count as your COVID year. That would mean athletes lost a year for being injured, while healthy athletes got one more.

I’m not saying a general redshirt year or medical redshirt year uses the COVID year, only 2021. Since Hoffman and Hu’s injuries were in 2021, which is the year that is the COVID year that I didn’t think they would be able to get a 2021 “redo year” twice over.

What’s the difference between Hu and Hoffman?
Oh my bad…Hu had two years left. This was her red-shirt junior year and had her senior year and the COVID bonus. But she chose to retire.

Originally Hu was listed as a red-shirt junior this year and mid season it was changed to senior because she had decided to move on and graduate.

Last edited:
I’m not saying a general redshirt year or medical redshirt year uses the COVID year, only 2021. Since Hoffman and Hu’s injuries were in 2021, which is the year that is the COVID year that I didn’t think they would be able to get a 2021 “redo year” twice over.
No. Because athletes that were not able to compete in 2021 due to cancelled seasons it was not counted as a year of eligibility.

That’s why they got the COVID year, so they would have four seasons eligible. Hoffman and Hu were unable to compete that year as well, though that was due to injury and not a cancelled season, but my understanding of what McCool said was that they would only get one year back from that year off.

That’s why they got the COVID year, so they would have four seasons eligible. Hoffman and Hu were unable to compete that year as well, though that was due to injury and not a cancelled season, but my understanding of what McCool said was that they would only get one year back from that year off.
No, again, athletes competed in 2021 and got the additional year. The bonus year applies to all athletes.
Also, red-shirt has to be approved by NCAA anyway.
No way is it possible that NCAA will say “well everyone else got 5 years if they wanted, but not you because you were injured in 2021.” It is unfair to those that were healthy and got to fully compete in 2021.

I mean COVID years are unfair as a whole. Some teams got nearly a perfect season and other schools didn’t compete at all and still everyone only gets the one year. I see what Hutchison is saying, but I don’t know who they are. Since Connor McCool is an NCAA athlete, I think he’d have better sources of information.
Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 11.46.50 PM

Last edited:
Since Connor McCool is an NCAA athlete, I think he’d have better sources of information.
Yea, I don’t know about that. But there were different happenings with NCAA men…there is a whole thread about that. Specfically due to the limitation on number of teams, and how many athletes a university chose to have on teams. Apparently athletes were bumped in favor of a gymnast taking a 5th year.

I mean I suppose we’ll see if anywhere official mentions it, and otherwise if someone like Hoffman uses two years, then we’ll know you’re right. If no one does, we won’t really get an answer but oh well.

I hear you, but I don’t see how it is fair that healthy athletes can take 5 years, but if you were injured in 2021 it counts for both…doesn’t make sense.

It definitely isn’t fair, but the 2021 COVID year was built off the idea that the 2021 season didn’t really count, because some schools will be stuck with strict regulations or be unable to compete for weeks at a time, not be able to compete at all, etc. Someone whose school got quite lucky with being able to compete, like Hoffman with Utah, looks like she’s getting screwed over compared to her teammates, but it’s unfair across the board.

Risky to hire someone without coaching experience.

Hutchinson’s daughter is on the Pitt team, taking a 5th year next season. Transferred from OU for the 2022 season.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back