2023 coaching changes and athlete transfer portal

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

NO JILLIAN THAT’S THE WRONG PORTAL, AHHHHH!

voom

…oh no.

Last edited:
Busy day today. Savannah Schoenherr has entered the portal.

I’m thinking the political climate in Florida has some impact on her decision.
I am sure that might have been a factor, but also Florida has no scholarships available for next season, so Schoenherr is likely looking for a scholarship for her 6th year. (Remember Florida already gave her a scholarship to continue as 5th year but she was injured all season).

Chances are that Skye Blakely will defer to train for Paris, but as of right now she has not, so Savannah didn’t really have a choice unless she wanted to stay off scholarship.

I could see Schoenherr at UCLA, they could use her VT and she could replace Marz on bars.

Last edited:
And Lucy Stanhope is reportedly in the portal now.

Someone in the college gym facebook group is accusing Tom Farden of throwing a grip brush at Sage Thompson’s face. Sounds like drama with the scholarships as well.

Last edited:
Stanhope’s is personal, but I am willing to bet she wants to compete more. She did prior to the Olympians coming to Utah and in 2021 did vault at every meet, also did floor and beam and nearly every meet and got to go on bars once.

In 2022 she was relegated to floor back up and only did it a few times in the season, otherwise only vaulting.

She has battled injury this year, but was also relegated to vault only and that was a few times this year.

She is going to her senior season and also has the option for a COVID year, so I anticipate the transfer portal is likely for her to be able to compete more at another university.

We shall see where she ends up, if she is at a stacked school, then the move wasn’t to compete more.
But I can call out 5 universities right away that would die to have her vault and floor, and also beam could be a potential line up starter as well.

Good for her!
Kind of surprised that they went with her for a HC role position without any NCAA coaching experience.

I just saw this on Twitter from Rudi. The one reaction to the tweet as I write this seems alarmed.

I don’t think that reaction “oh shit!” meant they were mad about the hire.

She went for the UCLA HC role, so it’s been clear for a while this is what she wants. I get why a big program like UCLA wouldn’t want someone that has no or minimal coaching experience and I can also get why a smaller program would take the risk on someone like her that has a high profile in NCAA gymnastics. Feels like another version of Kupets and Wieber.

Thanks for the insight. Does seem a bit Hail Mary-ish, and goodness knows the similar move for Georgia with Kupets has been a disaster.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back