2023 coaching changes and athlete transfer portal

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Where did you see this?

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 5.36.18 PM

What is her club coaching résumé?
I am not sure that she had any, it was not listed in the Iowa State release. Unless you consider being a choreographer as experience.
The San Antonio, Texas, native earned a bronze medal as a member of the U.S. women’s artistic gymnastics team at the 2001 World Gymnastics Championships. She competed as a member of the U.S. women’s team from 1997-2001, and was on the U.S. Senior National team from 2001-2003. Miles Greig led the USA National team to a gold medal at the 2002 Spring Cup, winning individual gold medals in the all-around and balance beam to go along with silver medals on floor exercise and vault.

“I am excited to watch Ashley build the Iowa State program,” Pollard said. “She had a tremendous career as a student-athlete at Alabama, and has enjoyed gymnastics success at the highest level from a collegiate standpoint, and those experiences will be an asset to her in building our program. I’m grateful for Calli Sanders’ outstanding leadership during the search process, and believe this is a great day for the future of Cyclone Gymnastics.”

An advertising major with a minor in Psychology who earned her bachelor of arts degree in Communications and Information Sciences from Alabama in 2006, Miles Greig was selected to the XXXI as a senior, which honors 31 women from the entire University student body.

“Wherever we were, when Ashley was on an event, all eyes in the gym were drawn to her,” Patterson said. “It was an amazing phenomenon. I couldn’t be more proud of Ashley and she will bring her championship vision to Iowa State and all her athletes. She has the fire and determination to always be a champion.”

After ending her collegiate gymnastics career, Miles Greig entered the automobile finance industry, first at the dealer level for five years before joining JPMorgan Chase Bank’s auto finance division in 2013. Despite her success in the business world, she has stayed connected to the sport she so dearly loves by serving as choreographer to optional and elite level gymnasts, while also working as an analyst for the ESPN family of networks. Earlier this month, she served as a member of the ESPN/ABC broadcast crew for the NCAA Women’s Gymnastics Championships.

Ashley and her husband, Orestes, have been married for nine years and will be relocating to Central Iowa from Huntsville, Ala.
I am guessing they chose Miles for the name recognition to draw recruits and her business management background to run the program. I am assuming that she will select two assistants that have a strong technical coaching background to take over the majority of the actual coaching aspect.
That said, as an analyst for gymnastics meets she was able to look at routines and discuss execution errors, gymnast strengths, etc. So she is obviously able to at least analyze routines for mistakes and how the routines are constructed. Being a former gymnast under one of the greatest NCAA coaches of all times means she has the experienced of being coached by a national championship head coach.

Miss Val didn’t have any gymnastics background, she was a dancer, granted she was an assistant coach at UCLA for several years before getting promoted to head coach.

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder if this is from a parent, because I checked Twitter, Instagram, and Tiktok and didn’t see anything.

Interesting. I wonder if this is from a parent, because I checked Twitter, Instagram, and Tiktok and didn’t see anything.
College Gym News is very reputable and they might have access to viewing the transfer portal. Perhaps Thompson just didn’t make a personal public announcement to socials. Maybe she is keeping it quiet for now until an offer is made?

Again, like Stanhope we don’t know the reasons for either of them entering the portal, it could be they want a different experience, personal reasons, or want more competition time.

Jillian Hoffman announced she was finished as well and was recognized during senior night. Clearly she changed her mind and entered the transfer portal.

Last edited:
Hoffman may have known she was done with Utah on senior night but was still waiting for grad school decisions.from other universities. You still have to formally enter the portal in a case like that.

Hoffman may have known she was done with Utah on senior night but was still waiting for grad school decisions.from other universities. You still have to formally enter the portal in a case like that.
Oh absolutely. But having watched the Utah senior night festivities, it came across as her being finished with gymnastics.

I love that she has an option to go to grad school AND continue her gymnastics, even if just for one more year. It doesn’t hurt that so many 5th years (and 6th year) had a fantastic season and someone as talented as Hoffman can do one more year of gymnastics. Her vault alone is going to get her various offers. Floor is also strong and line up worthy, and while she didn’t make line ups on bars or beam, due to Utah’s strengths, I do believe she was training them. She did an exhibition bars during her freshman season. With her history of injuries it appeared she was ready to move on from gymnastics.

Hoffman was limited in college due to multiple injuries.
She missed a few meets her freshman year due to injury, she missed all of sophomore year due to injury, and she tore her achilles mid season during her junior year.

Technically, Hoffman does have two years of eligibility left. Her red-shirt year (sophomore) and her COVID year.

Last edited:
I don’t think they have access to the portal, because I expect there would be more athletes, and they specify that it’s a list of people who have made public announcements. I was thinking that they might have seen something posted by her mom in a Facebook group or something since we’ve seen a lot of that. I agree that College Gym Fans is generally pretty trustworthy though, and there seems to be a rumour consensus that she’s transferring, so it makes sense.

College Gym News doesn’t actually have her listed, but it’s more out-of-date as it isn’t yet showing Lucy Stanhope or Lauren Rutherford’s commitment to Clemson. https://collegegymnews.com/2023/04/21/tracking-2023-24-transfers/

Wasn’t her redshirt year the 2021 season so she can’t have both that and a COVID year?

College Gym News doesn’t actually have her listed, but it’s more out-of-date as it isn’t yet showing Lucy Stanhope or Lauren Rutherford’s commitment to Clemson.
That’s College Gym News not College Gym Fans, confusing I know, separate sites.

Wasn’t her redshirt year the 2021 season so she can’t have both that and a COVID year?
No

2020- freshman year
2021- sophomore year (didn’t compete)
2022- junior year
2023- senior year

so she used 3 years of eligibility. She has her 4th year of eligibility plus her COVID year.

I was just pointing out that it’s interesting that Sage is one of the only people different across the two sites.

I was just pointing out that it’s interesting that Sage is one of the only people different across the two sites.
College Gym Fans usually has up to date info.
College Gym News is a bit behind as they are more blog style, compared to CGF.

I believe it was Connor McCool that said on Twitter that 2021 can’t be used twice over as both a COVID year and redshirt year. I believe that’s why Norah Flatley doesn’t have another year of eligibility even though Margzetta does.
Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 11.14.11 PM

Last edited:
I believe it was Connor McCool that said on Twitter that 2021 can’t be used twice over as both a COVID year and redshirt year. I believe that’s why Norah Flatley doesn’t have another year of eligibility even though Margzetta does.
No. Nora used her 4 years at UCLA.
2019- freshman
2020- sophomore
2021- junior
2022- senior

2023- grad

Marz
2019- freshman
2020- sophomore
2021- junior
2022- senior (red shirt)
2023-senior/5th
Marz technically has one more year left, choosing not to use it.

Sorry. That was a bad example. I only remembered her being injured at the beginning of her junior year and forgot she came back at the end of the season. I’ve attached Connor’s tweets though which say that 2021 can’t be both redshirt and COVID. I don’t think men’s would be different from women’s?

The difference is that Moors used a “red-shirt” year but took classes remotely and continued to train for the Olympics, as opposed to deferring a year from University.

She was enrolled as a college student, so that uses up a year of eligibility. She was not technically injured as a student athlete.

Opposed to McCallum, Chiles, Carey etc who deferred entering college by a year.

Other athletes chose not to compete in 2021, but that also took away a year of eligibility. The COVID year was designed to allow student athletes the ability to opt out, but give them the COVID year so they could do 4 years.
Other athletes didn’t have the choice as specific programs didn’t have a gymnastics season and their team didn’t compete in 2021.
However, athletes that chose to compete in 2021 were still given the COVID extension which is why they get a bonus year.

Reactions: nog
The whole thread originally was referencing injury. He replies to the comment by Mary Emma and expands there. My understanding from that was that 2021 redshirt and COVID cancel each other out.

Helen Hu of Missouri also red shirted a season due to injury, she had a year left due to COVID bonus. Originally she intended to use it but with her series of injuries opted to retire after this season.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back