2023 coaching changes and athlete transfer portal

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Donating, standing up to a comment or correcting language are also actions and I would argue take more effort and risk more backlash. The action of wearing a hair ribbon does not outweigh those. Perhaps they just hate hair ribbons. This idea that you must wear the same as others to prove your support worries me. That is such a simplistic idea. That is telling people what to wear and if you don’t you are wrong. That is coercive and frankly tips over into bullying. Where is the freedom in that. And isn’t the pride movement about freedom to be ourselves no matter how that looks. Having to look a certain way to prove you are a good person is surely what we are trying to get away from.

And just as an aside I don’t think actions do speak louder than words. It depends on the effort put into the words and the actions. I think effort speaks louder than anything. Writing a hundred letters in support of gay rights way more effort that clipping a bit of ribbon in your hair that you didn’t even go and buy yourself.

Public support is valuable I get that. I personally wouldn’t wear a ribbon in my hair of any sort but Im not a teenage girl however I would happily put that ribbon on my jacket or bag for all the world to see.

I’m assuming that in reality there was more to this story and it wasn’t just the hair ribbon.

Sacramento State’s Randy Solario retired after 38 years with the program.

Another head coach position open.

There are rumors on Reddit Lucy Stanhope and Sage Thompson are entering the portal.

Last edited:
I know, right? Like there’s another dimension involved.

A piece I’m unclear on: When athletes enter the portal, have they already been talking to other schools, or do they have to wait until they enter the portal to have any conversations?

A piece I’m unclear on: When athletes enter the portal, have they already been talking to other schools, or do they have to wait until they enter the portal to have any conversations?
I don’t think they are supposed to technically, but we all know that doesn’t happen.

There are rumors on Reddit Lucy Stanhope and Sage Thompson are entering the portal.
I can see this, both were really limited to one event only and can contribute more as AAers, so maybe they want to be able to compete more and are limited due to stacked Utah line up.

That is what Vanessa Deniz did when she went from Oklahoma to Georgia, granted she only did beam this year, but she was part of a competition line up as opposed to riding the bench or exhibitions only.

Gabby Gallentine of PSU switched this year from Florida for that very reason.

Last edited:
Which is interesting because on senior night she stated she was done with gymnastics. Great that she changed her mind.

Awesome that the transfer portal is allowing athletes to do a grad year with their covid 5th year.

I still hate it that gymnasts at the beginning of COVID missed having a last competition and championships.

Reactions: Dex
Dramatization of gymnasts entering the portal:

Portal_Chell

Formerly known as Casey Jo Magee, correct?

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back