2022 Worlds Qualification

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

8 per event is probably a good number for MAG, but its absolutely way too much for WAG.

WAG is so top-heavy. Nearly all medal/finals contenders come from the countries that will qualify full teams, especially this year with 24 teams.

But, hey, good on those who put in the effort to secured spots via World Cup and I hope they have a great time at worlds.

Yeah…it is possible that there won’t be 8 spots to give and that the very last ranked gymnast will get a spot.

I don’t think we had a separate thread for 2022 Baku.

But this first vault got an 8.7 E and I just cannot…

How?

And then, moments later, Chuso does a lovely Tsuk Full and gets an 8.8!

Chuso’s first vault was an even worse FHS full, and got an 8.3. But really, there should not only be 5 tenths in execution between Chuso’s first and second vault.

Last edited:
The 8.733 for Bacskay’s Y1.5 vs that 8.7 for Belak is also off. Bacskay has mistakes but it’s still a much better vault than Belak’s front full.

I feel like they might not take height and distance the same for a front full than they do a Y1.5. It’s the only way I can explain it in my head.

I can see those Y1.5s getting 3/3 for height and distance but barely anything off on the front vaults. The parameters must be different.

I played around with the results from the 2018 Oceania Championships, African Championships, European Championships, Pan American Championships, and Asian Games.

These would have been the 2018 qualifiers to Worlds.
Asia
  1. China
  2. North Korea
  3. Japan
  4. South Korea
Europe
  1. France
  2. Russia
  3. Belgium
  4. Great Britain
  5. Netherlands
  6. Hungary
  7. Spain
  8. Ukraine
  9. Italy
  10. Germany
  11. Switzerland
  12. Romania
  13. Poland
Americas
  1. United States
  2. Brazil
  3. Mexico
  4. Argentina
  5. Cuba
    Canada was 6th in TQ after counting two 11.0+ and one 8.433 on bars they ranedk 11th out of 13 teams on bars, even getting beaten by Jamaica. Canada did not send an A team though and imprvoed their bars total by 7 points in TF. They were in 6th behind Cuba by only .068. Since Pan Ams are now qualification to Worlds, federations will send teams capable of qualifying, this was not the case for Canada with Moors, Olsen, and Black not attending
Oceania
  1. Australia
Africa
  1. Egypt

I’d blocked out Canada at Pan Ams completely.

It looked like they came up with the continental quotas by looking at the finish from the last full worlds in 2018 and swapping Egypt in 25th with Czech Republic in 24th to ensure African representation. The continental results give broadly the same teams.

Apparently the Oceania Championships have happened this month. A summary is here, can’t find any more detail https://www.gymnastics.org.au/Ga/Po...e_2022_Oceania_Continental_Championships.aspx

Australia won both team events and qualify for Worlds. The MAG AA spots go to Misha Koudinov and William Fu-Allen of New Zealand. It sounds like only two New Zealand women took part, Keira Rolston-Larking and Reece Cobb, with no team scores given (so did the Australian team just have to turn up to qualify?). I assume they get the individual spots? No mention of any other nation competing.

Chuso has a big leg separation on the preflight of her Kasamatsu vaults and totally lacks height (at least now). I feel like 8.8 was fine for that.

Typically its Australia and New Zealand only for Oceania. None of the island countries have ever produced gymnasts at the elite level. Of course these islands have tiny populations as well, spread out over sometimes hundreds of islands. Fiji is made up of 300 islands for example.

Gymnastics was just started in Papua New Guinea in 2018, with the support and mentoring of Australian Gymnastics. So maybe in the future we will see a full competitive team?
https://www.gymnastics.org.au/GA/Posts/News_Articles/2018/01_Jan/Gymnastics_in_PNG.aspx

Last edited:
Also to note, there is not an actual Oceania Championships.
New Zealand attends Australian Nationals and competes in Day 1 qualifications which also doubles for a team final. The Australian “Team” is designated before qualifications start so it is clear which athletes are counting toward a team total.

Short of sh*tting the bed at Euros, GB is going to worlds. Will the host country spot be reallocated like it’s done for the Olympics? I don’t know how they’d do it since teams/indivs are qualifying from their respective continentals, not worlds.

Oh, I could’ve sworn I read that somewhere in the last week. Thanks

Unless something has changed, nothing in the original qualifications criteria posted mentioned anything about host quota spot at Worlds, however it discusses host quota for Olympics where it states that the host +1 will be reallocated to next in line at Worlds. France WAG is no doubt going to be part of the top 12 and the France MAG will be on the bubble as they were 14th in 2019 and missed the top 12 by 1.4
That said Louis Frasca was 28th (18th in all-around finals) so he qualified as an individual.
Samir Ait Said and Cyril Tommassone also qualified as individuals.
So France sent 3 to Tokyo, so chances are that they will qualify at least one individual in 2023 and that host spot will be reallocated.

Last edited:
There is a host country place at Worlds, its included within the individual AA places in that breakdown. The rules are in Section 2 Special Regulations for Artistic Gymnastics here https://www.gymnastics.sport/publicdir/rules/files/en_2022 Technical Regulations.pdf

Individual AA spots are distributed as follows

Men/Women

Europe 23/23
Americas 6/11
Asia 6/8
Africa 2/4
Oceania 2/2
Host 1/1

If the host country qualifies (as GB should, and Belguim next year), the host place is reallocated to the continent the host belongs to. So the 24th eligible gymnast at Euros will qualify.

Last edited:
There is a host country place at Worlds, its included within the individual AA places in that breakdown.
Thank you!
I was looking for the original document as I had never seen it but was unable to find it.
I only found the breakdowns as shown in the screenshot on the various websites and blogs.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back