2022 World Gymnastics Championships WAG All Around Final (Thursday 11/03)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Interesting. I can’t see how they got a 6.0? I gave every skill and every connection with full credit.

ETA: Also - I have no idea why she did the Wolf to Sissone at the end. That Switch Ring to split was really quick. Unless she thought that little movement in her right shoulder might have broken the connection?

Last edited:
Perhaps they got mixed up with the mixed series and gave the switch ring to split jump CV?

Surely the AS would have caught that?

It’s an impossible score!

Imagine if gymnastics used something called a computer, wherein you input the skills and it calculates everything correctly. Judges’ scores could be easily recorded that way, gasp, and this thing called instant replay could be used so judges can make sure they are getting a good view and scoring each skill as accurately as possible. When ever will the technology be available? Maybe humanity will get there by the 2090’s?

It is absolutely insane that they’re still doing it all by hand. And even all in the arena.

They can afford to pay for flights, hotels and food for 30 judges for two weeks - and yet they cant pay some graduate IT guy to build a simple code where skills and connections are inputted and it spits out a D Score.

I mean, if I get an X ray, the guy reviewing it can literally be 1000 miles away.

You’d think that a speech to text option would have been thought of so that the judges could keep their eyes on the gymnast. A linked “keyboard” that has the possible deduction numbers on individual keys so they can real-time input them and they get linked to the stated skill. Program compares stated skills for discrepancies, tallies deductions, and spits out a summary for review. Instant replay for skills that are differently named or deductions that are outside an acceptable range so they can be re-graded.

Something better than scripting and looking away has to be possible.

Last edited:
I think it’s mainly down the them wanting their favourites to succeed, however they take it down on a girl who’s nothing wrong and isn’t in control of the scores (or how their favourites do)

Last edited:
some of the vitriol was disgusting. just a horrible twitter pile-on for absolutely no reason. grown adults on an 18yo

That’s what I don’t understand. We all want our favourites to do well. I’m not a huge fan of Jess, but I don’t understand why there seems to be so much hate directed at her compared with some of the other gymnasts

Last edited:
I think some of it is that everyone got used to her scoring a 14 on FX and some have been taken aback by her scoring higher in Liverpool. That surprise has been channelled into aggression and over scoring complaints.

In Tokyo she scored 5.4/8.4 for a 14 with a 0.3 on her Gogean. In Munich she scored a 5.7/8.3 for another 14 with tumbling landing errors. I was there for the latter and my first impression was that Maggio should have won. I’m going to ignore the ridonkculous nationals EF scoring and we don’t know what she scored in Cardiff.

At worlds she went:
5.9/8.3 0.1 ND 14.1 (I remember thinking this one felt generous)
5.9/8.366 14.266
6.0/8.4 14.4
6.0/8.2 14.2

Her E scores have not changed that much. She’s added difficulty, does what the code is asking for in terms of artistry/performance quality and doesn’t have the inbuilt deductions that many others do (e.g. lack of height, falling out of turns). She’ll always have 2X2X landing deductions and likely have landing mistakes on at least two of her tumbles.

I am looking forward to watching all the routines in detail. Curious to see what was different about the 5.9 routines.

Last edited:
I trust our judging folks here to be impartial enough and explain the subtle differences of judging.

It isn’t just twitter it is facebook too…many people saying Chiles was the rightful winner and Gadirova only won due to cheating for the home gymnast.
These are people that don’t understand D score or execution deductions or artistry checklist. They only know sticking the landings. They don’t understand that there were execution deductions for knees and feet and precision.
They don’t understand that Chiles tried a Gogean and was short so no credit and also now execution deductions.

Was it just her misfortune then that it was a home worlds? Would the reaction have been different had the competition been elsewhere?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back