2022 World Gymnastics Championships Team Qualifications (Saturday 10/29 SD 1&2- Sunday 10/30 SD 3-10)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Why was Wong not in the UB line up? Does she have some sort of weird injury that only allows her to do two unnecessary vaults?
It’s a head scratcher. Maybe people will behind the scenes hopefully know enough to make that decision wisely.

Why was Wong not in the UB line up?
Presumably because her podium UB set was the worst of the 5. By far.

The head scratcher for me is why did they let her vault. Ultimately, with Skye falling on bars, it didn’t matter. But if Skye had caught the bar, and hit a 9.2E DTY, she would have qualified into 2nd AA.

Ifs and buts.

These decisions always make me wonder what was going on in the practice gym. Did Wong look better on vault there, or was Blakely less consistent in practice? Or was it really just not wanting to bench a team member in quals, and vault seemed like the place Wong had the best shot at contributing/losing her score was least likely to hurt?

Thank you! Shame it cuts off halfway. Hopefully gymcastic will have it up soon.

Does anyone have Leannes DTY? I have her Lopez. And Jordan’s Lopez?

Last edited:
I’ve seen some tweets suggesting that Jade should give up her spot in the AA for Jordan…

The audio is not synced at all, but it’s cool Barbosu can interpret for her teammate. Gymcastic’s video quality and depth of coverage is not as good this year as it was at previous worlds. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take what I can get, but there’s been a noticeable amount of skips/repeats in the videos which was definitely not an issue in Kitakyushu/Stuttgart/Montreal, and way fewer videos than I remember getting in 2017/2019. I wonder what’s up.

Last edited:
Leanne Wong’s Lopez only scoring a 13.1, how?? That score makes it sound like a disaster when it definitely wasn’t.
Why was Wong not in the UB line up?
To let Jade do the AA, bleh. Hopefully they let her do UB in team final. Skye has been more unreliable for sure and Jade’s routine is a shame.

I’m surprised they don’t have interpreters. I know in previous worlds there were volunteer interpreters.

Full-in pike with legs together! Nice style.
Legs…together?

I mean, it’s an improvement over some other attempts, but the leg separation in the second part of the skill is definitely deductible, in addition to the crossed legs deduction in the first part of the skill. Plus flexed feet, feet apart on landing, and step.

Which is to say - full twisting double pike should be upgraded to F. There are so many deductions it can get. Nobody has ever done this element without at least .2 off, I’m pretty sure.

Last edited:
I’m going to throw out that I’m glad they let Leanne vault. I suspect the reason they chose VT is that the new leadership team is advocating for two vaults. Beyond that, though, you never know when you’re going to need to pull someone into a TF lineup, and it seems to me like it is asking a lot to have an athlete go up finals after having to endure being totally benched for prelims.

Skye’s great. I wish the format was different and that Leanne didn’t get hurt.

Which is to say - full twisting double pike should be upgraded to F. There are so many deductions it can get. Nobody has ever done this element without at least .2 off, I’m pretty sure.
Bridget Sloan had a great one:

But in general I agree. Sloan’s stood out because nobody else ever did it very cleanly at all.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back