2022 Commonwealth Games

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Afternoon would’ve been absolutely fine. Saturday teatime is a prime slot too. Even finishing at 7 would’ve been easier on everyone.

Rhythmic uses a different floor, no? Can’t be setting up and tearing down floors multiple times.
But they can easily fit in rhythmic floor in the arena. It has been done before at several events.
Not to mention one year at Europeans they had two floor mats in the arena.

Having a proper look at the schedule, I wonder why they couldn’t have scheduled rhythmic for the 5th, 6th and 7th. That would’ve given scope to give the WAG athletes a rest between TF and AA, and also had time for the rhythmic gymnasts to do podium. Doesn’t appear that Arena Birmingham is being used for anything after rhythmic.

Aww, Ondine is off too now, on the bhs loso loso. It was going quite well before then.

Alice actually still has every chance of medalling if she gets it together. She’s going to be 4th at the end of this rotation, and has 38.55 the same as Emma Spence who was in 3rd. And she was top on floor yesterday, by a lot. It’s just whether she can come back from that disaster.

Godwin will win if she stays on her feet. If they repeat their qualification scores Spence will take second from Achampong. Kinsella can close the gap a lot but probably needs someone to make a mistake to win a medal.

Really impressed by Emma Spence. Wonder if she’s muscled her way into the Canadian world team conversation (if she’s interested).

And wow Georgia Goodwin. Just a couple months ago she didn’t think she’d trial for CWGs.

Last edited:
The schedule at CWGs has always been brutal, but there was no reason that the last 2 subdivisions has to be so late yesterday evening. Could have started 2 hours earlier

I don’t know if anyone posted WAG TF subdivision 3-4 or not I couldn’t recall.

Hopefully AA is coming

Exactly. Even working on the assumption that they could only have the arena these days in this order, which may not be the case, the scheduling could still have been better. It isn’t fair on the athletes. Their safety and welfare has to be a higher priority.

I’m particularly concerned for the several WAGs who get no rest day at all. Ondine, Georgia and Naveen are all doing all four days, and the first two were in the final sub on Saturday too. Let’s hope everything goes ok for them.

Agreed. There was 90 minutes between subdivisions 1 and 2 (these were on the same ticket so you couldn’t leave the arena) and 20 minutes between subdivisions 3 and 4. I think it was 4 hours between sessions. On AA day the gap was 2.5 hours and it was 90 minutes between MAG ending and doors opening for the WAG session. They could’ve easily started the subdivision 3/4 session earlier by reducing the gap between subdivisions 1 and 2 as well as the session gap.

Reactions: Bob
There was so much gap they probably could have had MAG and WAG on the same day. There are obviously judging issues to consider, and coordinating getting the spectators in and out for sessions and changing equipment round etc. But I’m sure it could have all been done on the Friday really if they had all events running at once instead of each sub only having 2 going.

Last edited:
I totally agree. I went to all of it and the schedule was ridiculous for both spectators and gymnasts.
They could have done 3 rounds on one entry ticket and reduced the gaps substancially. Would have been finished by 7. I’m sure it was so they could sell more tickets…

I did get that impression. They sold them as two separate events didn’t they? One ticket for subs one and two, one for subs three and four. And I suppose if you have sold tickets for four subs, you want there to be four subs. Shame about the athlete welfare side of it.

Anyways, it’s turning into a very good championship for people called Georgia.

I’d say the GBR men are going to be unbeatable at Euros, barring disaster or their top guys falling apart.

Latalia Bevan apparently works as a choreographer these days and was involved in at least two of the South African routines (Caitlin and Naveen):

I have to say I really had no idea what the commonwealth games were or what they meant to people, but I have really enjoyed watching and reading comments. I wasn’t really planning to watch, but it’s been a really fun field and a nice change of pace.
Also the commentators’ sheer enthusiasm for literally anybody and everybody is actually refreshing.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back