2022 China National Championships

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It’s nice for Ou Yushan to finish 2nd, but she doesn’t fit onto the team when looking at the numbers. I would take Tang / Luo / Wei / Zhang Jin / Sun Xinyi at this point. That way the team has the top 3 Bars and Beam workers, you get the best vaulter with Zhang Jin and the possibility of an improved Floor by the time Worlds comes since she is recovering from injury (Luo Rui also may be able to recover Floor for Worlds?), and you use Sun Xinyi on vault, since her Yurchenko full isn’t scoring much lower than He Licheng’s DTT anyway; the score she brings on Beam is worth it.

Crazy save on the healy. I’ve noticed some other gymnasts regrasping the bar in front grip on healys. It’s a bit jarring since they’re China’s bread and butter, but are probably easier to do right on top of the bar without grips.

He Licheng falling again on Floor and Ou Yushan only delivering a 12.8 routine is really cementing that Tang / Luo / Wei / Zhang Jin / Sun Xinyi team.

Sun Xinyi getting a DTY would be very helpful for China, hope she can do it!

It’s a FTY. It’s almost a built in 3 for height 3 for distance. The (wrong) rationale being “if you could do it higher and further you’d be doing a double”.

She’s a bit flat off the table. A bit dished. I can see an 8.9 for this easily.

She doesn’t seem to be lacking amplitude to such a degree. If judges are giving those deductions simply for doing a FTY, they need to be reprimanded. It’s not like the FTY is overvalued compared to the DTY or something. This needs to be brought to the court of sport arbitration!

We have had this problem ever since the open ended code started. At least it’s gotten a bit better than when porgras was competing

As per reddit, these are the gymnasts who will be at the Chinese worlds selection camp
  1. Luo Rui
  2. Ou Yushan
  3. Tang Xijing
  4. Wei Xiaoyuan
  5. Qi qi
  6. Zhang Jin
  7. Wu Ran
  8. Sun Xinyi
  9. Zuo Tong
  10. Zhou Yaqin
  11. Chen Yanfei
  12. He Licheng
  13. Xiang Lulu
  14. Yue Yue
I know Qi Qi is injured and her results haven’t been stellar this week, so I don’t know if she’s in there for appearances sake/politics rather than anything else. Although she is a vaulter so maybe they’re just casting the net wide.

Wei Xiaoyuan’s backhandsprings have an incredibly closed shoulder angle. Even on floor, she’s never fully extended. I cam’t recall ever seeing an elite gymnasts with such poor BHS technique.

On the whole, anemic vaulting for China. With the caveat that the camera angle for most vaults was less than ideal, so maybe they’re better than I think.

Sun Xinyi probably won’t have a DTY in time for Worlds. I can see her as an alternate, but she shouldn’t be on the main team.

My hope/prediction:

Tang Xijing
Wei Xiaoyuan
Ou Yushan
Zhang Jin
Luo Rui
Alt: Sun Xinyi and He Licheng

Prelims
V: Wei, Tang, Ou, Zhang
UB: Ou, Tang, Wei, Luo
BB: Wei or Zhang, Ou, Tang, Luo
FX: Wei, Ou, Zhang, Tang

TF (if they qualify)
V: Tang, Ou, Zhang
UB: Tang, Wei, Luo
BB: Zhang or Ou, Tang, Luo
FX: Ou, Zhang, Tang

I really can’t stand Ou Yushan, but she always seems to do just enough to weasel her way on to major teams.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back